Senior Climate Change Specialist
IDB3131 - Senior Climate Change Specialist
Job Purpose:To provide advanced level technical and professional expertise in defining and coordinating the IsDB’s Climate action and support the Bank to enhance the quality and impact of its projects and programs through mitigation, adaptation and climate resilient interventions. Participate as a team member in the preparation and appraisal of projects and carry out needed GHG accounting for the relevant activities while ensuring incorporation of necessary climate resilience components as appropriate and improve projects sustainability and quality at entry in the relevant sector. Participate in IsDB support to Nationally Determined Contributions implementation, long term climate strategies and net zero plans in member countries. Participate in climate finance resources mobilization of the Bank, through bilateral and multilateral funds. Participate in knowledge generation and sharing on climate related topics, as well as capacity building and partnerships building with relevant stakeholders.
Strategic and Operational Planning and Implementation:
• Co-lead various Communities of Practice (CoP) in different sectors with regards to climate mitigation, which entails providing intellectual leadership on positioning the Global Practice (GP) internally and externally in various sectors in relation to climate adaptation and environment.
• Take part in project appraisal, design as well as processing and approval process as team member along with relevant regional hub. Lead provision of input on climate change aspects (including climate risk screening and co-benefits identification).
• Take part in MCPS formulation with relevant departments at HQ and regional hub.
• Participate in the development of strategic plans, analytics and other products related to climate adaptation and environment within the climate change and environment division and with other Global Practices in Operations Complex.
• Contribute to GPs work on climate change, identifying staff and learning needs and setting competencies and standards for their global, regional and country-specific solution areas.
• Lead delivery of selected global engagement products on Climate Mitigation, and when needed, directly lead and participate in country dialogues and deliverables (such as NDC and LTS support, NAPs, NAMAs, etc.), in addition to capacity building workshops in Member Countries.
• Support the operationalization and management of the physical climate risks management system (PCRMS) of the Bank, for various sectors. With support from the division and regional focal points, ensure the implementation of the best practices in terms of climate adaptation and resilience measures in projects in different sectors including on naturebased solutions. In addition, support the development and use of operational guidance notes, where relevant, for project teams to incorporate appropriate adaptation and resilience measures in their projects.
• Support the achievement of the climate finance target for different GPs and Regional Hubs. With the Global Practice and Task Managers in the Regional Hubs, keep track of the commitment and report to/advise the Bank on the progress in meeting the target and adjustments required in the portfolio.
• Work, in coordination with the Climate Change and Environment unit and others, on the leading work on sustainability and climate change within the IsDB, and academia, MDBs and other key partners, outside IsDB, on the relevant research/ analysis, events and outreach.
• Liaise with the international bilateral and multilateral climate finance institutions, such as International Climate Initiative (IKI), Adaptation Fund and Green Climate Fund (GCF) and coordinate fundraising for the relevant IsDB climate change projects. In addition, prepare approach papers, reports and statements on the rationale and activities to be supported by donor funds.
Knowledge Sharing & Innovation:
• Track external issues and processes relevant to the best practices in Climate Mitigation in various sectors. Keep abreast of external developments and provide technical support to management on engagement in key external processes on issues of Climate Change and Sustainability. This includes, but not limited to, IsDB partnership with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), other specialized UN agencies on agriculture and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), multilateral development banks, bilateral finance institutions.
• Participate in forums for knowledge generation, exchange and dissemination on issues of sustainability and climate change across the practice internally (with relevant GPs and regional hubs) as well as in relevant external events.
Reporting & Communication:
• Contribute in the preparation of progress reports on all project cycle related activities in compliance with the Bank rules and procedures.
Education, Experience & Certification:
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Climate Change, Sustainability, Environmental Studies, Engineering or any related field.
• Higher Degree (Master’s/PhD) preferred.
• Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in implementing climate change projects (of which 4 years are related to climate change adaptation and in a developing country context).
• Experience working with IFIs/Development Agencies/Multilateral Development Banks preferred.
Skills & Necessary Knowledge:
• Sound knowledge of international climate negotiations policy and the current best practice.
• Demonstrated ability to lead or contribute to high-level analytical work and policy dialogue in IsDB Member Countries.
• Planning & organizing/project management skills.
• Analytical thinking.
• Problem solving.
• Sound knowledge of Environment/Climate/Carbon Finance.
• Report Writing skills.
• Presentation Skills.
• MS Office skills.
• English ( Mandatory )
• Arabic ( Preferred )
• French ( Preferred )
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: