Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
September 22, 2023
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The RSD Associate is a member of the Refugee Status Determination (RSD) team. S/he is responsible for supporting all activities related to the processing of refugee claims in the Operation. The RSD Associate provides counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR's RSD procedures, their rights and obligations, including towards the host authorities, and the status of the processing of their claims. In discharging these responsibilities, the RSD Associate liaises closely with Registration, Community Services, Resettlement, and other Protection staff. The RSD Associate is responsible for conducting COI and other research related to RSD and maintaining the Operation's local repository of relevant information, guidelines and standards. S/he may also assist in drafting RSD Assessments. The RSD Associate assists in compiling and analysing information related to the RSD activities of the Operation, and in drafting related correspondence and reports. The RSD Associate may provide interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which s/he has the required language competencies.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of legal, political, security and other developments which impact on the protection environment, and in particular, on protection delivery through RSD.
- Assist in the development of the RSD strategy of the operation and in the annual planning exercise.
- Provide counselling to, and respond to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees, including in the context of the notification of negative RSD decisions.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all work on individual cases.
- Assist in preventing and identifying fraud in RSD through oversight, advice and guidance to UNHCR staff, partners and persons of concern.
- Systematically apply an age, gender and diversity (AGD) perspective in the performance of assigned functions.
- Conduct research on country of origin information (COI) and other issues related to RSD and maintain the Operation's local repository of relevant information, guidelines and standards accessible to RSD staff in the operation.
- Assist in monitoring RSD trends and in compiling and analysing RSD statistics related to RSD case processing.
- Assist in developing and maintaining processes to ensure that persons of concern, Government authorities and partners have accurate information on the RSD procedures, including UNHCR standards, policies and practice.
- Assist in initiatives to advocate with and support Government authorities and legal partners to establish and strengthen fair and efficient RSD procedures and RSD decision-making.
- Draft correspondence and reports relating to the RSD activities of the Operation.
- Refer individual cases to other functional units in the Operation and/or external partners for appropriate follow-up, in accordance with established criteria.
- Counsel individual asylum-seekers on the reasons for negative RSD decisions, in accordance with the RSD SOPs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR RSD Lrng Programme;
HCR Cntry of Orig Inf Lrng Prg;
HCR Protection Learning Prg;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Working experience with procedures and principles related to RSD. Knowledge of International Refugee Law and Human Rights Law and ability to apply the relevant legal principles. Experience in working with vulnerable or traumatized individuals.
PR-Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD)
PR-Counselling Asylum Seekers or Refugees
LE-Human Rights Law
PR-RSD - Principles and Procedures, operational arrangements/assistance
PR-Government Refugee Status Determination (RSD) procedures
WB-Treatment of vulnerable/traumatized individuals
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
CO-Cross-cultural communication, PR-Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD), PR-Counselling Asylum Seekers or Refugees, PR-Government Refugee Status Determination (RSD) procedures, PR-RSD - Principles and Procedures, operational arrangements/assistance, SO-Research, WB-Treatment of vulnerable/traumatized individuals
Community Development/Social Work - Other, HCR Country of Origin Information Learning Program - UNHCR, HCR Protection Learning Program - UNHCR, HCR RSD Learning Program - UNHCR
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Judgement & decision making, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
This position doesn't require a functional clearance