Associate Professional, Project Facilitation, AP
Secretariat of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Division of Project Facilitation and Support (PFS)
Publication Date: 12 September 2023 Deadline for Application: 11 October 2023 (at midnight, Abu Dhabi Local Time) Title and Grade: Associate Professional – Project Facilitation
Indicative Annual Salary: USD 36,000 to 54,000 and other benefits
Duration of Appointment: One year, with possible extension
Duty Station: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
ExpectedDate for Entry on Duty: As soon as possible
The International Renewable Energy Agency is an inter-governmental organisation headquartered in Abu Dhabi, mandated to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. IRENA’s mission is to play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of the global energy systems as a center of excellence for knowledge and innovation, a global voice of renewable energy, a network hub for all stakeholders and a source of advice and support for countries. At present, IRENA has 169 Members (168 States and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute.
The Project Facilitation and Support (PFS) division integrates all the previous initiatives of IRENA related to project facilitation. It aims to achieve a tangible impact by facilitating funding and investments for promising projects, co-organising regional Investment Forums with matchmaking events, and fostering cooperation between international institutions with compatible objectives. One of the main instruments is the Climate Investment Platform (CIP), a joint initiative of IRENA, the Green Climate Fund (GCF), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL). The activities include the preparation of projects, support to the partners who can help projects to achieve financial close, and the organisation of international and regional matchmaking events where project owners, lenders, investors, and donors can meet.
Other responsibilities include the development and promotion of project facilitation tools, like the Energy Transition Accelerator Financing Platform (ETAF) and the Open Solar Contracts initiative. All these initiatives have in common that they help attract investments in the renewable energy sector and provide directly relevant support to projects.
1 Amount of monthly lump-sum depends on qualifications and years of relevant work experience. In addition: a monthly accommodation allowance (USD 1,600); relocation grant upon arrival/separation if relocation involved (USD 1,200); installation grant if relocation involved (USD 1,300); health insurance; other entitlements as applicable.Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Director of PFS and the direct supervision of the Head of the Project Facilitation unit, the Associate Professional (AP) will primarily support the operationalisation of the Climate Investment Platform (CIP), one of the main instruments that organises IRENA’s contribution to project facilitation. The activities that the AP will undertake primarily include supporting promising renewable energy (RE) projects to achieve financial close, organising regionalInvestment Forums with matchmaking events, and fostering cooperation between international institutions that have compatible objectives. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Support the assessment of incoming inquiries and registrations on the CIP: PFS receives daily requests for project-related support and offers to cooperate on project facilitation initiatives. The AP will support the registration process of incoming requests and the assessment of their potential contribution to the objectives of the platform.
- Monitor the renewable energy investment landscape: The AP will support the monitoring and review process of other initiatives that are comparable or relevant to the work of PFS; and will undertake desk research regarding the investment landscape of renewable energy globally.
- Account management of partners: The AP will support liaison efforts with registered partners in the CIP regarding projects and financing solutions, primarily by organising and attending meetings, and preparing background documents, meeting notes and call reports.
- Project support: The AP will support the implementation of the projects that have been accepted on the platform and undertake desk review and monitoring of these projects.
- Collect, organise and assess information: The AP will undertake data collection, structured data entry and database management including information gathering related to projects, countries and their financing needs for relevant projects.
- Contribution to marketing efforts: The AP will support various communications and marketing initiatives to make the project facilitation work of IRENA more visible and better understood.
- Preparation of Investment Forums and matchmaking events: The AP will support the organisation of relevant regional events, including both substantive and logistical aspects.
- Support the overall management of the PFS division: The AP will provide management support and undertake administrative activities to ensure the seamless operation of the PFS division.
- The AP will perform other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of renewable energy finance, project finance and/or project management, with a particular focus on developing countries. Ability to identify issues, formulate options and make recommendations related to RE project financing and facilitation.
Communication: Has excellent drafting ability and communication skills, both oral and written; creates and promotes an enabling environment for open communication; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with a final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Accountability: Takes ownership for all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within the prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organisational regulations and rules; supports peers and colleagues, provides oversight and takes ownership of delegated responsibilities; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable; operates in compliance with organisational regulations and rules.Qualifications
Education: A first-level university or an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in finance, public administration or a related field with an understanding of renewable energy, climate finance and project management.
Skills and Experience: Relevant work experience would be an asset in particular in the financial sector or in data research and analysis in relation to financing of projects, preferably in the field of renewable energy. Skills in financial modeling and financial analysis would be desirable.
Language: Excellent command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of other UN languages is desirable.
Qualified candidates must apply for the above-mentioned vacancy online, throughIRENA’s recruitment platform, ORC by submitting a complete and comprehensive application, CV and a letter of interest, including details of three professional references who will be contacted if their application is shortlisted.
Applications from qualified women, especially from nationals of developing countries, are highly encouraged.
Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for an interview and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: