H (no hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
National Professional Officer
Regular > Regular Assignment
September 27, 2023
Assistant PPH Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR's Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources for refugees from the private sector. UNHCR has developed a Private Sector Fundraising Strategy 2018-2025 which has the ambition of growing PSP into a service capable of generating $1 Billion annually and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
As part of this strategy, and in order to achieve the ambitious objectives of mobilizing necessary resources for UNHCR, PSP's Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) Section develops and strengthens long-term partnerships with companies, foundations and private philanthropists (¿PPH donors¿). As part of a wider fundraising team, the primary role of PPH colleagues is to seek various forms of support from PPH donors: securing funding for UNHCR programmes and projects will be considered priority, but the work also includes leveraging the capacities of these partnerships beyond funding, in order to build long-lasting holistic partnerships bringing various forms of support to UNHCR and to persons of concern, such as advocacy, visibility, expertise, innovation and public engagement.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- As delegated by the supervisor, support the engagement of PPH donors, and all activities relevant for the acquisition and strengthening of relationships with them, depending on the local market and philanthropic landscape.
- Support the preparation of pitches, presentations, proposals, reports and any other fundraising materials targeting PPH donors.
- Support the management of existing partnerships, e.g. by helping to draft donor reports, plan donor missions or other tasks necessary to ensure that relationships are appropriately nurtured.
- Support the team with desk and market research to provide intelligence to inform PPH initiatives and/or the approach to specific donors or sectors.
- Support on the logistics for internal and external events, including internal skill-shares.
- As delegated, and in collaboration with Administrative colleagues, support PPH colleagues with procurement, administrative and travel matters.
- Help to update content on PSP¿s SharePoint platform, in order to improve internal communications, and to maintain a regular flow of information with colleagues within and outside PSP.
- Support PPH colleagues with information management and knowledge-sharing, through the collation and dissemination of documents and data pertaining to partnerships and philanthropy.
- Support the maintenance of up-to-date records of partnerships and relationships. This might include helping to keep track of income raised, keeping internal calendars and plans updated, and supporting on data entry and maintenance on Salesforce.
- Support the delivery of communications and visibility plans with PPH donors. This can include helping to gather and collate data/information on various topics and for specific audiences, to organize the logistics of content-gathering missions and to prepare communications materials.
- The incumbent of the position will perform in direct link with the broader PSP country market plans and context, including effective collaborating on and working towards non-direct cash elements together with IG and campaigns, such expanding network for other purposes like in-kind, free publicity, CRM or location access for face-to-face frontliners.
- Support on the logistics of high-level events tailored for major donors and HNWIs.
- Support colleagues in the implementation of donor care plans to ensure that major donors are engaged with the organization.
- Support the delivery of high-quality presentations, proposals and reports for major donors and HNWIs.
- If applicable, support on data mining and on updating databases of existing and potential major donors.
- Support colleagues in implementing initiatives designed to engage with foundations.
- Support on the preparation and submission of foundations grants, including budget and narrative submissions, by helping gather, consolidate and present information in line with deadlines.
- Support the logistics of the organization of or participation in events for foundations and philanthropic networks.
- Support colleagues in implementing initiatives designed to acquire and/or strengthen partnerships with corporations and corporate foundations.
- Support colleagues in the implementation of donor cultivation and stewardship plans with corporate partners, including communications and visibility plans.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA - 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Marketing, Communications, Journalism,
International Relations, Economics, Business Administration/Management
Social Sciences or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Relevant professional experience with exposure to an international environment and/or with humanitarian
or development organizations.
- Ability to produce high-quality written materials tailored to specific audiences.
- Ability to balance different and sometimes competing needs and deadlines.
- Experience in coordinating multiple stakeholders, with an ability to multi-task, manage time, and thrive in a high-pressure environment.
- Knowledge of humanitarian programming and/or UNHCR programmes and operational arrangements.
- Knowledge of partnerships, fundraising, and/or relationships with donors and/or external partners.
- Knowledge of SharePoint 365 platform.
- Experience in marketing and/or communications.
- Knowledge of CRM tools, ideally Salesforce.
- Experience in a UN field location and/or working in a developing country, with an ability to function well in a multi-cultural environment.
PS-Fundraising (incl. operations, programmes)
PS-Managing corporate partnerships
IT-Business Intelligence (BI)
PS-Private sector fundraising and partnerships
PS-Fundraising - High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI)
PS-Partnerships / Individual Giving Programmes
PS-Middle donor programme development and management
PS-Fundraising materials production and management
PS-Fundraising from foundations
PS-Management of Private Sector Fundraising Investments in new markets
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
This role oversees private philanthropy and mid-level giving at UNHCR Canada. The selected candidate will have a portfolio of individual donors to steward and cultivate and will be personally responsible for raising over $2,000,000 per year. They will also oversee the Mid-Level program, responsible for a separate financial target, which straddles both the Individual Giving (IG) and Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) team. This person will strategize how to move individual donors up the pipeline from IG to Mid-Level to Major Gifts. These donors will receive personalized solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship materials from the selected candidate. The candidate will manage a junior team member responsible for the day-to-day execution of the Mid-Level program activities. Other duties include working with the PPH team to gather and produce content for donors across the Mid-Level and Major Gifts portfolios.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada when applying.
To be eligible to work in Canada, applicants must have one of the following legal statuses: Canadian citizen or a (valid) Permanent Resident of Canada or authorized in writing to work in Canada under the federal Immigration Act (valid work permit).
• Manage a portfolio of high-net-worth-individuals and properly cultivate,
solicit, and steward them.
• Run or support events for Major Donors.
• Send regular communication in the form of customized proposals, impact
reporting, updates, event invitations, and more to Major Donors.
• Support in the production of content (proposals, impact reports, letters) for
• Lead the Coproduction project focused on ethical content gathering.
• Manage the Mid-Level manager and ensure the Mid-Level strategy is being
• Liaise with all teams to ensure donors are properly moving up and down
• Manage the data processes in Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce related to Mid-
Level and Major Donors.
• Other duties as required.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community, IT-Business Intelligence (BI), IT-Computer Literacy, PS-Emergency Fundraising, PS-Fundraising (incl. operations, programmes), PS-Fundraising from foundations, PS-Fundraising - High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI), PS-Fundraising materials production and management, PS-Management of Private Sector Fundraising Investments in new markets, PS-Managing corporate partnerships, PS-Middle donor programme development and management, PS-Partnerships / Individual Giving Programmes, PS-Private sector fundraising and partnerships
Bachelor of Arts (BA) (Required), Bachelor of Science (BS) (Required)
Fundraising - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Managing performance, Managing resource, Negotiation & conflict resolution, Organizational awareness, Political awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
This position doesn't require a functional clearance