E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
September 26, 2023
Travel Administration Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Travel Administration Assistant has a strong sense of service-orientation towards travellers and developing teamwork relations beyond boundaries of the functional unit.
The incumbent serves staff members going on mission/official travel and therefore deals with different UNHCR entities as well as external counterparts; the extensive customer exposure encompasses counterparts in other UN agencies, UNHCR field offices, and travel management companies.
The Travel Administration Assistant communicates regularly with travellers, requiring a positive, knowledgeable solution oriented and service minded approach.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Arrange and confirm travel bookings for applicable staff members, Affiliate Workforce and external meeting participants in line with the rules and regulations in place.
- Creates and processes Travel Authorization (TA), Travel Advances and Travel Claims in accordance with the relevant administrative rules and regulations; respond to any queries and/or comments from the certifying or approving officer.
- Advise and assist staff on their travel entitlements, needed documentation and matters pertaining to travel as per operating administrative instructions and procedures.
- Support staff members for their visa requests.
- Assist in the interpretation and implementation of administrative rules, regulations, and procedures in relation to official travel.
- Support the reconciliation of monthly invoices for the use of different travel services by the staff, Partners, UN Agencies, and other Organisations.
- Monitor the utilisation of relevant travel services, which should abide by the terms stated in the contract.
- Report on the utilisation of travel services provided on a monthly basis.
- Assist when needed in the preparation of budgets applicable to travel.
- Liaise with Finance on payments due from Implementing Partners, UN Agencies, Staff and other Organizations.
- Assist in medical evacuations as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G4 - 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Logistics, Air Operation, Business Administration
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Computer skills (MS office and People soft applications)
Good knowledge of UNHCR Admin and financial rules, procedures and processes.
Prior exposure to UNHCR refugee operations and functions relating to field office administration.
TV-Amadeus - Global Distribution System
TV-Galileo - Global Distribution System
UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Manager to fill this part.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
CO-Cross-cultural communication, TV-Amadeus - Global Distribution System, TV-Galileo - Global Distribution System, UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
Air Operations - Other, Business Administration - Other, Logistics - Other
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Negotiation & conflict resolution, Organizational awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for a competency base interview.
This position doesn't require a functional clearance