E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
September 26, 2023
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Transport Assistant is part of the Administration Unit and is responsible for transport related activities. The incumbent will regularly interact with staff at different levels in the office or in other duty stations and will also keep frequent contacts with local suppliers or authorities, other external stakeholders such as vehicle maintenance service provider, UN Agency counterparts/peers. The incumbent may supervise Drivers and/or Senior Drivers.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Oversee the fleet of UNHCR-owned vehicles as well as the pool of rented vehicles (if any) through commercial contractors and police escort vehicles (if any, in collaboration with the Security Section and UNDSS), provide administrative assistance related to acquisition, receipt, distribution, maintenance and utilisation.
- Record/register regularly fuel and gas consumption and monthly mileage for all vehicle fleet in the AoR (Area of Responsibility).
- Record/register all travel and driving assignments as per the established record (log) book.
- Update regularly the fleet management software (Fleet Wave) and report any irregularities to the supervisor.
- Report incidents to Global Fleet Management as per the procedures in place and ensure accidents and accidental violation of traffic rules are reported to UNHCR Administration and local police.
- Coordinate the schedules of the maintenance and repair with the maintenance garage and follow up on invoices to ensure they are correctly and timely presented to UNHCR.
- Maintain accurate records of serviced and repaired vehicles within the AoR.
- Provide Administration/Supply with all required documentation for disposal and auctioning process.
- Provide estimations for drivers¿ overtime and per diem and channel drivers' optional needs to Administration.
- Remain up-to-date with all road networks in the area and their physical status at any given time, be fully conversant with local traffic rules and standards.
- Monitor that UNHCR vehicles are used in accordance with UN Rules and Regulations and usage data is correctly recorded.
- Assign duties to all drivers in the AoR and establish the weekly driver schedule.
- Arrange transportation movements for national and international staff for official visits, road missions, and for international staff during week-ends and after working hours.
- Regularly check if all drivers inspect vehicles and report defects timely in line with the procedures in place.
- Ensure that drivers only drive vehicles when their safety or security are not at risk.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G4 - 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Auto Mechanics Certificate;
Transportation and Logistics;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Knowledge of driving rules and regulations. Basic skills in office equipment and commonly used machines.
Sound knowledge in motor car maintenance and routine mechanical repairs. Exposure to routine administrative and maintenance functions of UNHCR country operation. Experience in fleet management. Knowledge and working experience of Fleet Wave.
DV - Basic Vehicle Mechanical Skills
SC-HCR Global Fleet Management Vehicle Insurance scheme
DV-Driving Rules and Regulations
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
DV - Basic Vehicle Mechanical Skills, DV-Driving Rules and Regulations, DV-Vehicle Management, IT-Computer Literacy, IT-Microsoft Excel, SC-HCR Global Fleet Management Vehicle Insurance scheme
Auto Mechanics Certificate - Other, Driving License - Other, Transportation and Logistics - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Negotiation & conflict resolution, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for a competency base interview.
This position doesn't require a functional clearance