Operations Officer, Kenya
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our or on .
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.
Since establishing the Africa Program in 2007, The Nature Conservancy’s vision in Africa is to work towards fostering a sustainable future for people and nature, partnering with indigenous communities across 55 million acres on the continent. Our efforts are firmly rooted in people, leveraging scientific and technical expertise as we collaborate with governments and organizations to conserve and enhance Africa’s shared resources in the 9 countries we operate.
TNC’s work in Africa transcends three key pillars: securing ownership rights to lands and resources for indigenous people, strengthening leadership and resource management and helping communities value nature through a holistic appreciation of its benefits while increasing revenue streams for conservation efforts and socio-economic development. Together with our partners, we are witnessing critical milestones in integrated land and fisheries management, ocean and source water protection, energy development and sustainable food production, working together and strengthening our resolve in tackling global challenges such as climate change, habitat and biodiversity loss that stands to adversely impact the nearly 1.4 billion people that share Africa.
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Operations Officer will work toward meeting the strategic priorities of the program by implementing tactics for approved plans and completing day-to-day tasks and activities. Reporting to the Payables Coordinator-Africa Region, the position will be based at the TNC Nairobi regional office in Kenya.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The Operations Officer will work as part of a team within a business unit coordinating tasks related to payment processing of both concur invoices and expense reports.
- Responsible for Invoices submission in concur as per procurement procedures, compliance, accounting codes and supporting documents.
- Promote a complete audit trail culture in the support documentation of all invoice transactions.
- Responsible for new employees’ Concur account setup and providing training
- Responsible for daily updating of the online Invoice payments tracker
- Responsible for payable adjustments (AP) for project IDs & account codes
- Maintain monthly payment Box folders and ensure they are fully supported.
- Prepare Cash Receipts for local bank deposits.
- Ensure timely submission of in-country statutory compliance (Tax Returns, VAT, and Workers’ Compensation)
- Review of employees' cash advance budgets before submission for payment - concur
- Provide support with employees' expense reports for reimbursements.
- Manage Credit card training, provide guidance on usage and support with new applications.
- Responsible for providing support documents during in-country audits
- Responsible for planning and coordinating logistics for special events and/or meetings, workshops, trainings with partners and government stakeholders, purchasing, and program Inventory.
- Be willing to travel, work overtime, and work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related field and three years of related experience or equivalent.
- Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Experience generating financial reports and analyzing and interpreting data.
- Experience with analytical and quantitative skills.
- Experience and a good understanding of the procurement process
- Experience developing and administering departmental budgets or equivalent.
- Experience working across departments.
- Over 7 years’ experience in an INGO supporting administration, supply chain and logistics.
- Non-profit GAAP accounting experience.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated.
- Demonstrated experience handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated experience using diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate staff.
- Experience interpreting guidelines to achieve desired results.
- Experience supervising staff, interns and/or volunteers.
- Strong accuracy skill, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 54038, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at . Need help applying? Visit our page or contact .
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: