H (no hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
September 28, 2023
Senior Finance and Accounting Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Finance and Accounting Assistant processes financial transactions and provides technical support to the Field with the processing of financial transactions, and monitors compliance with applicable financial rules and regulations. The incumbent therefore keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels, including Country/Field Offices, Regional Bureaux and HQ divisions.
The Senior Finance and Accounting Assistant is normally supervised by a more senior colleague who defines work objectives and provides regular advice and guidance.
The duties of the Senior Finance and Accounting Assistant may have different focus depending on the specific area of responsibility, including the followings.
General Ledger (GL) coordinates the drafting of the annual account closing instructions, complies with annual financial statements, and coordinates audit for the areas under its responsibility.
Accounts Payable (AP) processes AP vouchers and central payments for UNHCR, provides related technical support to the Field and coordinates the accounts closure and audit for AP and Expenses and handles requests related to the appropriate segregation of duties through the Delegation of Authority Plan (DOAP).
Accounts Receivable and Donor Reporting (ARDR) processes incoming deposits and provides related technical support to the Field, accounts for revenue adjustments, raises bills for miscellaneous income, and coordinates the accounts closure and audit for AR and Revenue, compiles financial reports to UNHCR¿s donors, which requires active liaison with colleagues from the Division of External Relations (DER) and the respective Field Offices.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Process assigned transactions and maintain financial records accurately, completely and duly for accounts for which responsibility is assigned.
- Provide technical support to Field Offices, Regional Bureaux and HQ divisions, and provide answers and guidelines to accounting and finance related matters.
- Monitor compliance by users in different entities with the relevant financial rules, regulations and procedures. Bring issues related to non-compliance to the attention of supervisors.
- Escalate to supervisors any indication of breach in the internal control system, including suspected fraud.
- Prepare ad-hoc and recurring reports, analyses and reconciliations on assigned accounts/areas of responsibility. Verify that the financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures. Monitor and follow-up on open items, variances, errors and other issues identified.
- Liaise with relevant counterparts to obtain information and verify data on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
- Carry out month-end and year-end closing activities.
- Gather information and documentation requested by auditors.
- Identify possibilities for improving processes, and recommend ways to improve cooperation between key stakeholders at different geographic locations. Implement agreed improvements.
- Actively participate in the testing related to the implementation of new systems and tools.
- Update standard operating procedures, guidance notes and training materials.
- If requested, guide, support and supervise assigned team members.
- Brief and assist new team members on requirements relating to accounts and finance.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5 - 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Accounting; Business Administration; Finance;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience with ERP financial modules (PeopleSoft, Oracle or SAP).
Experience with MSRP Finance applications.
Experience with accrual accounting (IPSAS, IFRS or similar).
Experience with UN/UNHCR financial rules, regulations and procedures.
*IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
*FI-Financial Accrual Accounting under internationally accepted standards (IFRS,IPSAS,etc)
*FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
• Address accounting inquiries from field operations and offer comprehensive guidance.
• Prepare periodic finance-related reports and analyses as assigned.
• Execute month-end and year-end closing tasks, including allocations, interunit charges, long-term employee benefit liabilities, IPSAS-related accruals, provisions, valuation allowances, and adjustments.
• Conduct thorough accounts reviews, clearing activities, and accounting for various adjustments.
• Contribute to the preparation of UNHCR Financial Statements and associated supporting documents.
• Responsively fulfil audit requests and provide necessary information.
• Monitor bank and cash accounts across headquarters and field offices. Ensure timely and accurate reconciliations by collaborating with country operations to adhere to quality standards.
• Monitor asset and liability balances, scrutinizing supporting documentation for significant transactions to validate their accounting treatment.
• Maintain regular communication with country offices to update VAT information in the central data repository.
• Scrutinize expense and revenue accounts for substantial variations between periods.
• Contribute to the preparation and update of standard operating procedures and guidance notes to facilitate the day-to-day finance and accounting work.
• Conduct sample-based reconciliations for field bank accounts.
• Assist in the centralized procedure for writing off monetary and other assets.
• Collaborate with field offices and HQ units, requesting corrections and adjustments related to above-mentioned matters.
• Fulfill other duties as required and assigned.
Candidates must be legally present in Hungary at the time of application, recruitment and hire.
For G5 - 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher.
NOTE: A completed and relevant minimum first level university degree (equivalent to BA or higher) shall count in full (100%) towards the required years of work experience. Priority will be given to eligible applicants meeting the full requirements
In case of appointment, a competitive compensation and benefits package is offered.
G5 - Salary range: NET 498,349 HUF - NET 583,795 HUF.
Annual leave: UNHCR staff members holding a fixed-term appointment will accrue annual leave at the rate of 2.5 working days for each full calendar months of service (i.e. 30 working days per year).
Pension system: Staff members holding a fixed-term appointment will become participants in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF).
Health insurance plan: locally recruited staff members in Budapest will be enrolled in the Medical Insurance Plan (MIP). The coverage is also optionally available for eligible family members.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a test. No late applications will be accepted. UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other), FI-Financial Accrual Accounting under internationally accepted standards (IFRS,IPSAS,etc), IT-Computer Literacy, IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
Accounting - Other, Business Administration - Other, Finance - Other
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Judgement & decision making, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
This position doesn't require a functional clearance