External Relations Officer (P-3)
|Division:||Legal and External Relations Division|
|Section:||External Relations and International Coo|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||14 September 2023|
|Deadline for Applications:|| |
|Reporting Date:||As soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Legal and External Relations Division (LEG).
Under the supervision of the Senior External Relations Officer, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and implement outreach initiatives to relevant non-governmental institutions and international organizations in line with the Section’s objectives and with the aim of promoting the goals of the Treaty;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of proactive strategies to promote CTBTO’s visibility by working with international civil society, universities, research institutions, and other international organizations;
- Ensure effective management of relationships with States and their Permanent Missions in a portfolio which includes, but is not limited to, the Latin America and Caribbean region;
- Contribute to concept and strategy papers that advance organizational goals, including support for the entry-into-force of the Treaty and the completion of the International Monitoring System;
- Conduct, research and prepare background notes, talking points, speeches, and correspondence in relation to the assigned region, civil society, academia and other international organizations as required;
- Liaise and consult with technical divisions and other experts as required in the preparation of papers, products and documents as needed;
- Attend meetings and international conferences and organize briefings on the work of the Commission, with the aim of advancing the Commission’s visibility and its strategic objectives;
- Conduct research and prepare background papers, talking points, and reports in relation to the work of the Section and the PTS and prepare any related correspondence necessary for the signature of the Executive Secretary, Division Director and the Section Chief and other senior staff;
- Undertake duty travel as required to fulfill the above objectives and support External Relations objectives;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- University degree in international relations, including non-proliferation and disarmament, political science, education, public or business administration or a related field;
Work Experience and Qualifications
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience in a responsible position at national or international levels, in activities related to external relations and international security, and education;
- Established knowledge and experience in nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament is highly desirable;
- Experience in developing networks with diplomatic missions and civil society institutions is desirable;
- Sound knowledge of communications approaches and tools; solid experience in the establishment and fostering of effective partnerships and collaboration is essential;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in multicultural environment is essential;
- Demonstrated ability to show political sensitivity, tact and judgement is essential;
- Strong analytical skills are essential;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- A good working knowledge of Spanish is highly desirable;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, and Russian) is desirable.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Team work - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and/or Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: