Programme Assistant/Logistics Consultant (3 Positions)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. In Nigeria, UN Women’s work is guided by its three-pronged mandate: 1) Normative support to the Nigerian government, including Federal and State Ministries of Women Affairs, in championing initiatives and implementing policies, systems and practices that advance women’s rights; 2) Programmatic interventions across four priority areas: Women, Peace, Security and Humanitarian Action (WPSHA), Economic Empowerment and Resilience, Leadership and Political Participation, and Ending Violence Against Women; 3) Coordination of gender-focused networks and platforms within the UN system and development community to promote and advance gender equality in line with the development and humanitarian objectives.
UN Women coordinate gender equality and women empowerment within the United Nations and with external partners to ensure that different parts of the multilateral system act together in a coherent manner to deliver greater results and maximize the use of resources. Within the UN system, UN Women is mandated (A/RES/64/289) to lead more effective coordination, coherence, and gender mainstreaming. In its Strategic Note (2023–2027), UN Women affirms that its UN Coordination role continues to give the organization an extraordinary capacity to foster coordination and coherence within the UN system in support of improved accountability and outcomes for gender equality and women's empowerment. In all areas, UN Women will continue to drive accountability for the UN system's commitment to gender equality and women's empowerment. In delivering the coordination mandate, UN Women will seek to enhance performance and responsibility for gender equality and enhance gender mainstreaming in the UN system during the SN 2023-207 implementation, with the aim to generate multiplier effects across all 17 SDGs. Therefore, it will deploy standardized tools including the UN System-Wide Action Plan on GEWE (UN-SWAP), UN SG’s System-wide strategy for Gender Parity Strategy, and the UNCT-SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard. As part of the coordination work, NCO will mobilize the UNCT to jointly enhance the sustainability and scalability of normative work, policy, and programs on gender equality and the empowerment of women in the process of implementing the UNSDCF. The CO also continues to lead and coordinate the work of the UNCT Gender Thematic Group (GTG) and will support the capacity strengthening of the team to better promote the mainstreaming of gender in the UNSDCF 2023-2027. The GTG is currently chaired by UN Women, with UNFPA serving as co-chair, and has representation from 18 UN agencies.
UN Women also serves as the secretariat of the Development Partners Group on Gender (DPGG), and in that capacity, she supports the group to elaborate actions to support and collaborate with the government, especially the national gender machinery, and civil society to implement measures to advance gender equality and the empowerment of women. UN Women in 2023 commenced the Quarterly Zonal Coordination Mechanism Initiative in collaboration with the Federal and State Ministries of Women Affairs and the Maryam Babagida Centre for Women Development to better support the multiple networks, coalitions, and coordination mechanism that promote gender equality and the women to ensure that there is more coherence, capacity, and sustainability for the various work that they do. While several groups exist in the states, however, the level of coordination and accountability for gender equality and women’s empowerment remains limited and incoherent, as a result, accountability, and coherence in planning programme advocacy, and reporting on GEWE remain abysmal and less impactful. The coordination mechanism will adopt a zonal convening and through it, activities map gaps and strengthen them to cascade to the states and local government coordination platforms as well as enhance the coordination outcomes at the national level
Under the overall guidance of three Programme managers; National Programme Officer, Coordination and Partnership, Programme Specialist, WPE, and Programme Specialist, WPS the Programme Assistant and Logistics Consultant are responsible for the execution of a wide range of programme, administrative, and logistic support for UN Women coordination, WPE and WPS project ensuring timeliness, efficiency and effective support for programme planning, delivery and reviews and delivery of services in accordance with organizational rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and approved allocations. The Programme Assistant and Logistics Consultant will work in consistent with UN Women rules and regulations, standard practices, and guidelines. The Programme Assistant and Logistics Consultant will work in close collaboration with the National Programme Officer and other members of the Programme and Operations Team in UN Women CO.
Duties and Responsibilities
Expected Deliverables: The consultant will provide support to the Coordination, WPE, and WPS project
Provide programme support in accordance with the Coordination, WPS, and WPE programme of UN Women
- Participate and contribute to the units’ planning processes for Coordination, WPE, and WPS programme.
- Assist in the development of concept notes, agenda, and other products for Coordination, WPE, and WPS programme.
- Assist in the mobilization of participants and community members for programme activities.
Provide administrative and documentation support in accordance with the coordination, WPS, and WPE programme of UN Women
- Undertake administrative activities in support of coordination, WPS, and WPE functions
- Take notes at meetings and filing of documentation.
- Prepare letters for programmes and meetings.
- Others as assigned
Support procurement processes for the coordination, WPS, and WPE programme of UN Women
- Provide inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for programmes/projects;
- Prepare procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for office and project equipment, supplies, and services, as necessary;
Assist with Partners and Filed Management
- Assist with field processes for maximum outcomes and result
- Maintain activities records and assets of the programme
- Provide input to inventory reports.
- Implement the inventory and physical verification control for the project;
- Arrange shipments and conference facilities.
Organize logistical services
- Organize hotel and event arrangements for UN Women meetings/ functions, and engagements, ensure that all requirements are catered for as required with operation team guidance
- Support implementing partners and consultants for the project with procurement and logistic functions.
- Perform other administrative/programme tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Knowledge of programme and project
- Knowledge of procurement processes, systems, administrative rules, and regulations;
- Knowledge in the use of spreadsheets and database packages;
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of a confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good IT and web-based management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
- Completion of secondary education required.
- A bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Social/ management sciences or a related field is an asset;
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in programme, logistics, administration, or related experience
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in Enterprise Resource Management Systems (ERP) is an asset.
- Experience in supporting programme teams.
- Work experience with an International organization and working with other United Nations Common System is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality, and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW, and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
Diversity and inclusion:
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity, and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)