Project Coordination Consultant for Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards
Result of Service
The ASEAN Cool (AC) initiative aims to accelerate the implementation of the ASEAN Regional Roadmap for air conditioners. The consultant will contribute to delivering the following outputs:
• Data collection report on air conditioners in Malaysia;
• Cost-benefit analysis to implement MEPS and labels;
• Draft MEPS and labels on air conditioners for Malaysia which are aligned at the regional level.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8 MonthsDuties and Responsibilities
U4E has a diverse and growing portfolio of activities around the world, which requires a project coordinator to support the ASEAN Cool (AC) initiative in Malaysia. The ASEAN Cool (AC) initiative aims to accelerate the implementation of the ASEAN Regional Roadmap by providing technical assistance and capacity building on MEPS and labels. The consultant is required to coordinate the project’s activities in Malaysia, which is one of the two frontrunner countries in implementing the regional roadmap.
The project coordination consultant will facilitate the achievement of the following objectives:
• Review of data collection report, cost-benefit analysis and draft MEPS and labels;
• Gather stakeholders’ comments and input on the above mentioned documents;
• Assure regional coordination of the policies;
• Assure general project coordination, track activities and compile the information for donor reporting;
• All written outputs will be delivered electronically in Microsoft Office formats.
The consultant is responsible for delivering the following outputs:
• Provide technical assistance for data collection on air conditioners in the market, technical analysis for the government on updating regulations as well as the draft MEPS and labels;
• Liaising with national stakeholders, international and national experts and project partners for the development and finalization of policy recommendations for energy-efficient and climate friendly air conditioners;
• Performing project management responsibilities of the project in Malaysia to meet the needs of the countries and the project workplan;
• Capturing progress and key findings for use in reporting, outreach and promotion of the activities of the initiative;
• Conducting outreach to current and potential project partners and stakeholders;
• Tracking timely and quality development and submission of deliverables and financial information, and compiling and submitting information for reporting;
• Planning and hosting meetings, events and calls - including preparing agendas and materials, taking notes on key findings, and taking action on related tasks; and
• Other tasks as assigned.
The consultant will work in coordination with the Energy Commission- statutory body under the Ministry of Natural Resources, Environment and Climate Change (MNRECC) Malaysia, International Institute for Energy Conservation (IIEC), Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory as well as the implementing agency UNEP.
• An advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent additional experience) in energy or environmental policy, energy or environmental economics, or a related engineering or science field;
• At least 7 years of professional experience with energy policies and international development programmes.
• Experience on energy-efficient air conditioners is highly desirable;
• Excellent written and oral communications skills on energy or environmental related topics;
• Experience in Asia in energy related projects. Experience in Malaysia is desirable;
• Previous experience with project management;
• Availability to work from Malaysia and to support UNEP’s U4E team virtually who are based in Paris, France.
• Basic familiarity with appliance technologies and opportunities for improving performance (or similar products) is an asset;
• Previous experience in energy efficiency strategies and technologies especially energy-efficient appliances technologies, practices and programmes;
• Experience in developing and building coalitions to support existing activities and proposals for new activities;
• Excellent record in collaborating with a team, and ability to adapt to meeting varying needs as a project evolves;
• Fluency in spoken and written English;
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.