H (no hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
October 4, 2023
Resource Management Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Resource Management Associate position is normally a part of the Resource Management (RM) Unit within a Division or Bureau. The incumbent covers entire resource management area, including providing of technical assistance in budget management of allocated resources (Ops, ABOD and Staffing), Programme (including direct and implementation through Partners), HR (for national and international regular, TA and AWF positions) and Administration. S/he works closely with the other members of the RM team and liaises with the relevant Services/Sections/Units within the Division/Bureau for both the monitoring and implementation of activities and budgets utilization. The incumbent also regularly liaises with the other technical Divisions as well as with Regional Bureaux or Country Operation. The position normally reports to a (Senior) Resource Management Officer.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Consolidate budgetary and financial information/analysis to assist the resource allocations at the Division/Bureau level, particularly in relation to Annual Programme Review and Mid-Term Review.
- Participate in the Operational reviews and meetings to assist the Senior Managers in determining resource requirements for Admin and Operations under area of responsibility while taking into account budget ceiling and operational needs.
- Provide inputs and comments on the budgetary matters under ABOD and OPS during the Annual Programme and Mid-Year Reviews.
- Regularly update and maintain accurate budgetary and financial information records, i.e. expenditures, pipelines of submissions for the Budget Committee as well as the decisions of the Budget Committee to assist the efficient and accountable use of resources.
- Assist in preparing project proposals and staffing submissions to the Budget Committee and notifications to the PBS for position changes.
- Prepare correspondence, reports, evaluations and justifications as required on HR and general administrative or specialised tasks, which may be of a confidential nature, within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Regularly monitor budgetary trends (including expenditures, budget balances and spending authority under ABODs and OPS Projects) and report on cases of significant variances, particularly at year-end period to ensure full utilization of the available budgets and spending authority.
- Through the extraction and consolidation of data from MSRP, FOCUS, etc., assist in analysing progress against set targets.
- Assist in identifying and addressing training and capacity-building needs in the areas of programme, resource and RBM, etc.
- Take up follow-up action with the Service/Section Heads for timely completion performance evaluation reports of all Division's staff.
- Support the recruitment of GS staff including the preparation of vacancy notices, screening of applications, conducting tests on the required skills. Draft submissions for the Assignment Committee (AC).
- Support the recruitment of P staff and international consultants by organizing interview panels for advertised positions and assist in preparing interview questions and drafting of manager's views.
- Prepare requests for temporary appointments, contracts and SALs extensions and draft appropriate recommendations to the AC and JRB if required.
- Assist newly-arrived international staff with administrative formalities related to their accreditations, security/ground passes, submission of completed forms and related documents to headquarters, arrangements for their travel, if applicable.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Previous work experience in the areas of Programme/Admin/HR with the knowledge and understanding of administrative functions and exposure to provision of support services in an International Organisation. IT affinity is essential.
UNHCR PM1 LP. Knowledge of PeopleSoft/MSRP, Focus and other system software used by UNHCR.
CO-Drafting and Documentation
PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
The Resource Management Associate will provide general support functions, including administrative, human resources, financial and budgetary tasks in the Legal Affairs Service (LAS). The incumbent will play an important role in the daily functioning of LAS, will respond to queries from HQ and from the field and direct them to the relevant Legal Officer. The incumbent is in regular contact with a wide range of UNHCR staff at all levels. The Resource Management Associate will provide assistance to Legal Officers handling matters related to UNHCR HQ relations with the host country. As part of this responsibility, the incumbent will coordinate with concerned staff members and relevant UNHCR units and liaise with the Swiss Permanent Mission and therefore fluency in spoken and written French is essential. The incumbent will carry out financial, budgetary and human resources related processes. The incumbent will also conduct integrity checks to vet candidates for recruitments and assignments upon request in accordance with the established channels of these requests/assignments/recruitments. The incumbent's workload and assignments will remain under the general direction and guidance of the General Counsel and Head, LAS, and the incumbent will serve as back up to the functions of the Senior Legal Associate (Legal Affairs) when there is a gap or absence to provide the specialized support functions related to the back office services for LAS’s work on the Administration of Justice, including filing of formal submissions with the UN Dispute Tribunal, formal responses to requests for Management Evaluations, and other administrative support in relation to disciplinary cases, management evaluations and cases with the UN Dispute Tribunal which requires careful attention to deadlines and specialized expertise in the related processes.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
BU-PeopleSoft EPM/Budget, CO-Drafting and Documentation, HR-Vacancy Management, IT-Computer Literacy, MG-Resource Management, PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards), PG-Resource planning, PG-Results-Based Management
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
Candidates might be required to sit for a test in connection with this Job Requisition.
This position doesn't require a functional clearance