H (no hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
October 4, 2023
Senior PPH Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR's Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources for refugees from the private sector. UNHCR has developed a Private Sector Fundraising Strategy 2018-2025 which has the ambition of growing PSP into a service capable of generating $1 Billion annually and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
As part of this strategy, and in order to achieve the ambitious objectives of mobilizing necessary resources for UNHCR, colleagues working in the sphere of Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) mainly focus on developing and strengthening long-term partnerships with companies, foundations and private philanthropists (¿PPH donors¿). As part of a wider fundraising team, the primary role of PPH colleagues is to seek various forms of support from PPH donors: securing funding for UNHCR programmes and projects will be considered priority, but the work also includes leveraging the capacities of these partnerships beyond funding, in order to build long-lasting holistic partnerships bringing various forms of support to UNHCR and to persons of concern (POC), such as advocacy, visibility, expertise, innovation and public engagement.
The Senior PPH Associate might supervise some support staff.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- As delegated by the supervisor, support the outreach to and engagement of PPH donors, and all activities relevant for the acquisition and strengthening of relationships with them, depending on the local market and philanthropic landscape.
- Research, archive and maintain information on donor partners and new prospects, including keeping up to date biographical information, key philanthropic activities, up to date capital information, moves and actions plans (cultivation plans), tasks and events.
- Use Salesforce database to monitor PPH activity; and support the maintenance of up-to-date records of partnerships and relationships, including tracking income raised, keeping internal calendars and plans updated, and/or overseeing staff who handle data entry and maintenance on Salesforce.
- Communicate accurate and timely information on UNHCR's programs and activities, in conformity with the Organization¿s financial needs and priorities, to prospective and current donors.
- Research, develop and present solicitation, cultivation and stewardship materials in a comprehensive but donor-friendly format for PPH audiences. This might include drafting and presenting complex project concept notes, proposals, progress reports, high level briefing notes and letters among other necessary documents, and/or adapting existing materials to the needs of PPH audiences and providing donor care services.
- Support the implementation of the PSP Global Strategy and the national fundraising strategy in aspects related to High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI), foundations and corporations.
- Comply with UNHCR Due Diligence Procedures, help preparing compliance screening reports for submission to PSP¿s global team.
- Keep informed about the local fundraising and business environment, fundraising best practices and about issues related to humanitarian and development work which might have an impact on PPH activities, and escalate to the supervisor if needed.
- Carry out on-going market research in order to identify new prospects, develop a prioritized list and inform engagement/cultivation plans as needed.
- Support the supervisor in the implementation of cultivation plans for top prospects and donors. This might imply direct management of some accounts, scheduling meetings with prospects/donors, preparing necessary research/materials for upcoming meetings and events, and following up on meeting outcomes and due tasks.
- Provide comprehensive internal reports and updates on pipeline/cultivation progress including recommendations and alerts to the supervisor or senior management as appropriate.
- Support the appropriate strategic and tactical engagement with and approach to PPH prospects in the event of emergencies.
- Support the preparation of internal and external workshops, meetings and networking events which help the cultivation and stewardship of PPH donors, including overseeing logistical aspects; and, if required, liaise with PSP HQ to support the engagement of the market¿s PPH partners and prospects at high-level events coordinated by HQ.
- Assist the global PSP team in the adaptation, testing and/or development of activities and tools that support engagement with PPH donors.
- Provide messaging lines, amongst other necessary tasks in relation to the PPH donors and prospects managed in the market, including for press releases/ conferences, and social media visibility.
- Support the PSP team¿s efforts to strengthen UNHCR visibility towards PPH audiences and to position UNHCR as the `go to¿ brand and Organization for private sector actors interesting in forced displacement.
- Assist in the creation and dissemination of promotional materials for campaigns targeting PPH Donors to ensure compatibility, timing and best results.
- If applicable, represent UNHCR/PSP in meetings with prospective and current partners to promote an accurate understanding of UNHCR's work and its financial and other needs.
- Assist in the development of strategies and plans to engage the different segments of PPH donors with UNHCR and the refugee cause, which might include liaising with HQ to receive the necessary technical information on UNHCR programmes and thematic area strategies.
- Support the engagement with intermediaries by undertaking research, consolidating information and bringing matters to the supervisor as needed. This might include keeping updated on local law affecting wills and legacies.
- If applicable, support on the development of marketing programmes to receive Gifts in Wills targeting major donors and HNWI audiences; and support plans to nurture such audiences into including UNHCR in their will.
- Ensure that legacies and HNWI pledges and notifications are recorded and followed up in the most appropriate way to maximise income and provide good quality planning information
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 - 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Marketing, Communications, Journalism,
International Relations, Economics, Business Administration,
Management, Social Sciences Fundraising,
or other relevant field
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Relevant experience with exposure to an international environment and/or with humanitarian or development organizations. Knowledge of partnerships, fundraising, and/or relationships with donors and/or external partners. Ability to produce high-quality written materials tailored to specific audiences. Ability to balance different and sometimes competing needs and deadlines. Experience in coordinating multiple stakeholders, with an ability to multi-task, manage time, and thrive in a high-pressure environment. Ability to function well in a multi-cultural environment. Knowledge of CRM systems, ideally Salesforce. Experience in marketing and/or communications and/or sales Knowledge of specific fundraising techniques targeting PPH donor audiences.
Knowledge of humanitarian programming and/or UNHCR programmes and operational arrangements. Knowledge of SharePoint 365 platform. Experience in a UN field location and/or working in a developing country
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community
PS-Fundraising - High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI)
PS-Fundraising materials production and management
PS-Middle donor programme development and management
PS-Partnerships / Individual Giving Programmes
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada when applying.
To be eligible to work in Canada, applicants must have one of the following legal statuses: Canadian citizen or a (valid) Permanent Resident of Canada or authorized in writing to work in Canada under the federal Immigration Act (valid work permit).
This Senior PPH Associate (Manager of Development) will be part of the greater Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) team focusing on Major Giving. This position, in particular, will work on cultivating new and existing partnerships with Foundations across Canada. The selected fundraiser will have experience working with Major Donors, particularly Foundations. The selected candidate will be comfortable soliciting and stewarding six and seven-figure gifts from Foundations and will have a solid working knowledge of the Foundation context within Canada. The selected candidate will lead the strategy on Foundations, and they will also support other Major Gifts colleagues in fostering their relationships with key foundations in their portfolios. The selected candidate will collaborate with HQ and regional colleagues for key learnings about global Foundation partnerships and will manage an individual budget line.
• Develop and lead the Foundation strategy for PPH team.
• Manage the Foundations portfolio for UNHCR Canada.
• Solicit and steward major gifts from existing Foundation partners.
• Research, identify, and cultivate new Foundation partnerships.
• Provide regular impact reporting to Foundation portfolio.
• Manage the Foundations budget line.
• Collaborate with other PPH colleagues to share expertise and content for
key Foundation partnerships.
• Work with HQ teams to provide the best knowledge and service to
Foundation partners in Canada.
• Run and support events for Foundation donors.
• Support in the production of content (proposals, impact reports, letters) for
• Manage the data processes in Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce related to
• Liaise with the Mid-Level and Individual Giving teams to ensure donors are
properly moving up and down the pipeline.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community, IT-Computer Literacy, PS-Emergency Fundraising, PS-Fundraising - High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI), PS-Fundraising materials production and management, PS-Middle donor programme development and management, PS-Partnerships / Individual Giving Programmes
Business Administration - Other, Communication - Other, Economics - Other, Fundraising - Other, International Relations - Other, Journalism - Other, Management - Other, Marketing - Other, Social Sciences - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Managing performance, Managing resource, Negotiation & conflict resolution, Organizational awareness, Political awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
This position doesn't require a functional clearance