Software Engineer (SGIS)(P3)
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING APPLICATION DEADLINE\: Please note that the closing date for submission of applications is indicated in local time as per the time zone of the applicant's location.
This vacancy notice will be used to fill multiple posts.
The Department of Safeguards carries out the IAEA’s duties and responsibilities as the world’s nuclear inspectorate, supporting global efforts to stop the spread of nuclear weapons. The primary role of the Department is to develop and implement IAEA safeguards to ensure that there is no diversion of declared nuclear material from peaceful activities and no indications of undeclared nuclear material or activities in a State as a whole.
The Department comprises nuclear safeguards inspectors, responsible for carrying out inspections and verifications of all-safeguards relevant information for nuclear facilities in over 180 States; and technical staff responsible for a wide range of activities including\: developing concepts and approaches for implementing safeguards; developing and maintaining safeguards equipment; providing analytical and laboratory services for sample analysis; collecting, evaluating and analysing safeguards-relevant information; providing information and communication technology infrastructure and services; and providing programme coordination support.
The Office of Information and Communication Systems (SGIS) is responsible for the provision of secure Information and Communication Technology (ICT) services that enable the Department of Safeguards to deliver on its mandate. Major services provided by SGIS include provision of information technology project management services; development and maintenance of specialized ICT solutions; operation of resilient ICT infrastructure; provision of customer support services; and protection of safeguards information. In partnership with other organizational entities, SGIS is responsible for planning and implementing ICT strategies as well as promoting ICT standards.
Under the overall guidance of the Section Head and the supervision of the Unit Head, the Software Engineer in SGIS provides advice and support to the Department of Safeguards in the design, development, testing and maintenance of the software products in support of the departmental business processes.
The Software Engineer is\: (1) a technical specialist, designing, developing, testing and maintaining software applications and products in line with best practices; (2) an innovator and prototype developer, exploring how advances in technology can benefit business solutions; (3) a project team member of various projects, working collaboratively towards common goals.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Work in collaboration with business analysts and users to analyse and define user requirements and implement solutions.
Design, develop, test and maintain software solutions in line with architectural standards of the department.
Ensure that the implemented software solutions meet operational standards and targets, and are adequately maintained and documented.
Competencies and Expertise
Core Competencies(Competency Framework)
|Achieving Results||Takes initiative in defining realistic outputs and clarifying roles, responsibilities and expected results in the context of the Department/Division’s programme. Evaluates his/her results realistically, drawing conclusions from lessons learned.|
|Teamwork||Actively contributes to achieving team results. Supports team decisions.|
|Planning and Organizing||Plans and organizes his/her own work in support of achieving the team or Section’s priorities. Takes into account potential changes and proposes contingency plans.|
|Communication||Communicates orally and in writing in a clear, concise and impartial manner. Takes time to listen to and understand the perspectives of others and proposes solutions.|
|Client orientation||Helps clients to analyse their needs. Seeks to understand service needs from the client’s perspective and ensure that the client’s standards are met.|
|Commitment to continuous process improvement||Plans and executes activities in the context of quality and risk management and identifies opportunities for process, system and structural improvement, as well as improving current practices. Analyses processes and procedures, and proposes improvements.|
|Technical/scientific credibility||Ensures that work is in compliance with internationally accepted professional standards and scientific methods. Provides scientifically/technically accepted information that is credible and reliable.|
|Information Technology||Database Development||Proficiency in developing/maintaining relational databases.|
|Information Technology||Software Development||Expertise in developing client-server and/or web-based applications.|
|Information Technology||Software Engineering||Knowledge of end-to-end software engineering processes.|
|Information Technology||Systems Analysis||Ability to analyse and design solutions based on services.|
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
Bachelor's Degree - University degree in Computer Science or related field
Minimum of five years of practical experience developing web and/or desktop applications preferably in any of the following areas\:
- Information management;
- Data processing, integration and analytics;
- Document management;
- Mapping and spatial analysis;
- Authorization management.
Demonstrated experience in software engineering processes using disciplined approaches, such as an Agile methodology.
C# on .NET Framework and/or .NET 6 using ASP.NET WebAPI, MVC experience.
Experience in or knowledge of one or more of the following would be considered an asset\:
- Desktop Frameworks like WPF;
- SQL Databases, such as MS SQL Server;
- Messaging-based systems, such as RabbitMQ;
- Experience in leveraging low-code solutions to implement business processes;
- Experience in delivering solutions based on following products\: SharePoint, MFiles, or Jira;
- NoSQL solutions, such as MongoDB, RavenDB, and ElasticSearch.
Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
The IAEA offers an attractive remuneration package including a tax-free annual net base salary starting at US $64121 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), a variable post adjustment which currently amounts to US $ 31868, dependency benefits, rental subsidy, education grant, relocation and repatriation expenses; Other benefits include 6 weeks' annual leave, home leave travel, pension plan and health insurance. More information on the conditions of employment can be found at\: https\://www.iaea.org/about/employment/professional-staff/conditions
- The IAEA's paramount consideration in the recruitment of staff member is to secure employees of the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity.
- Staff Members shall be selected without any unfair treatment or arbitrary distinction based on a person's race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, disability, age, language, social origin or other similar shared characteristic or trait.
- The IAEA is committed to gender equality and to promoting a diverse workforce. Applications from qualified women and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged.
- Applicants should be aware that IAEA staff members are international civil servants and may not accept instructions from any other authority. The IAEA is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. As part of the United Nations common system, the IAEA subscribes to the following core ethical standards (or values)\: Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for diversity.
- The IAEA has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and the IAEA, including sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the selection criteria stated in the vacancy announcement. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information. Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise, which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection may be subject to reference and background checks as part of the recruitment process.
- Appointment is subject to a satisfactory medical report.
- Staff members may be assigned to any location.
- Candidates appointed to posts in the Professional and higher categories are subject to IAEA rotation policy and their maximum tour of service shall normally be seven years.
- The IAEA retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade or with a different contract type, or to make an appointment with a modified job description or for shorter duration than indicated above.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: