E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
October 3, 2023
Senior Field Security Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Field Security Assistant provides support to all security related aspects of field operations including Staff, premises and asset security..
The incumbent is normally supervised by an officer who provides regular guidance. They may be assigned some independent routine tasks while more often follows instructions of the supervisor. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR personnel, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners and with Host Government Security authorities (HGOs) in the area to facilitate the operation.
The duty of the incumbent is to support the management of security issues.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR personnel operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
- Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place in accordance with the UNSMS policies, UNHCR Policies and the Security Risk Management process in the designated area check for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
- Assist in security assessment missions to the field in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; help the supervisor during field missions to gather information and analyse the security situation.
- Support the Implementation of security-related projects.
- Assist in the monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
- Assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
- Maintain liaison with UN security management system actors, local law enforcement agencies, civil authorities and other relevant agencies.
- Provide security briefings to UNHCR staff, and as appropriate partner staff, on relevant security risk management for the country concerned to include , inter alia, the warden system, communication notification and reporting procedures, travel planning procedures road and fire safety.
- Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
- Provide security-related advice to the manager and other staff.
- Advise on security gaps and needs.
- Maintain liaison and build relationships with Host Government Security Forces and security counterparts.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
G5 - 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Security and Safety issues
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience in security or police field.
FS-Police, military, NGO Corporate security expertise
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
This position is replacement capacity with Lien.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
CO-Cross-cultural communication, FS-Police, military, NGO Corporate security expertise, IT-Computer Literacy
Safety and Security - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Judgement & decision making, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for eliminatory written test with passing mark of 70%.
This position doesn't require a functional clearance