Data Platforms Engineer(P3)
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING APPLICATION DEADLINE\: Please note that the closing date for submission of applications is indicated in local time as per the time zone of the applicant's location.
The Department of Safeguards carries out the IAEA’s duties and responsibilities as the world’s nuclear inspectorate, supporting global efforts to stop the spread of nuclear weapons. The primary role of the Department is to develop and implement IAEA safeguards to ensure that there is no diversion of declared nuclear material from peaceful activities and no indications of undeclared nuclear material or activities in a State as a whole.
The Department comprises nuclear safeguards inspectors, responsible for carrying out inspections and verifications of all-safeguards relevant information for nuclear facilities in over 180 States; and technical staff responsible for a wide range of activities including\: developing concepts and approaches for implementing safeguards; developing and maintaining safeguards equipment; providing analytical and laboratory services for sample analysis; collecting, evaluating and analysing safeguards-relevant information; providing information and communication technology infrastructure and services; and providing programme coordination support.
The Office of Information and Communication Systems (SGIS) is responsible for the provision of secure Information and Communication Technology (ICT) services that enable the Department of Safeguards to deliver on its mandate. Major services provided by SGIS include provision of information technology project management services; development and maintenance of specialized ICT solutions; operation of resilient ICT infrastructure; provision of customer support services; and protection of safeguards information. In partnership with other organizational entities, SGIS is responsible for planning and implementing ICT strategies as well as promoting ICT standards.
Reporting to the Team Leader, the Data Platforms Engineer applies technical knowledge in the design, configuration, maintenance, performance tuning and secure operation of the various Department of Safeguards data platforms.
This is achieved by leading and participating in projects and providing technically-sound support to enhance and maintain existing and new data and collaboration platforms, with the objective of achieving highly reliable, integrated, high-performance, and secure information systems. The Data Platform Engineer uses automation and development skills to create and automate service delivery and the support of these services for the Department’s agile-based solution development methodology. Furthermore, the Data Platforms Engineer serves as a specialist regarding data storage, processing, integration and reporting to the in-house development teams.
The Data Platform Engineer is\: (a) a technical specialist, designing, deploying and operating secure data platforms and collaboration solutions; (b) a collaborator, providing technical advice to management and peers on establishing secure processing and collaboration capabilities of sensitive data; (c) a data platform integrator, using modern data processing technologies to integrate data into established processes, ; and (d) functioning as an specialist in troubleshooting and fixing issues related to the data platforms and ensuring excellence in service delivery.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Ensure the security, reliability and availability of the Department’s data hosting services, data and collaboration platforms (SQL and NoSQL databases, Atlassian Confluence, OpenText Content Management Server, M-Files, MS SharePoint) and ensure that these platforms and services meet the defined functional and performance criteria.
Ensure that all data access from diverse sources follows relevant information security policies, guidelines and practices, and that access rights are strictly enforced.
Participate in architectural design of departmental ICT solutions, ensuring that existing data and collaboration platforms are used to their best extent.
Perform capacity planning, organize and conduct performance tuning, plan for future upgrades of hardware and software.
Participate in and lead data integration and data migration projects.
Create and maintain documentation and operating guidelines for the department’s data and collaboration platforms.
Competencies and Expertise
Core Competencies(Competency Framework)
|Communication||Communicates orally and in writing in a clear, concise and impartial manner. Takes time to listen to and understand the perspectives of others and proposes solutions.|
|Achieving Results||Takes initiative in defining realistic outputs and clarifying roles, responsibilities and expected results in the context of the Department/Division’s programme. Evaluates his/her results realistically, drawing conclusions from lessons learned.|
|Teamwork||Actively contributes to achieving team results. Supports team decisions.|
|Planning and Organizing||Plans and organizes his/her own work in support of achieving the team or Section’s priorities. Takes into account potential changes and proposes contingency plans.|
|Client orientation||Helps clients to analyse their needs. Seeks to understand service needs from the client’s perspective and ensure that the client’s standards are met.|
|Commitment to continuous process improvement||Plans and executes activities in the context of quality and risk management and identifies opportunities for process, system and structural improvement, as well as improving current practices. Analyses processes and procedures, and proposes improvements.|
|Technical/scientific credibility||Ensures that work is in compliance with internationally accepted professional standards and scientific methods. Provides scientifically/technically accepted information that is credible and reliable.|
|Information Technology||Application Architecture||Thorough knowledge in data and collaboration platform architecture, operation, maintenance, tuning and problem solving.|
|Information Technology||Data Architecture||Demonstrated experience in database design, data integration (for example, SSIS), reporting services (for example, SSRS), and analytical services (for example, SSAS).|
|Information Technology||IT Security||Proven expertise in a "defense in depth" approach to IT security, data encryption, identity and access management.|
|Information Technology||Systems Administration||Working knowledge of Windows based operating systems, web services, Active Directory, enterprise search, computer-supported collaborative work (CSCW).|
|Information Technology||Systems Engineering||Proficiency with the automation of service provisioning, service management tools, applications, configuration management and maintenance tools using an agile-based solution development methodology.|
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
Bachelor's Degree - University degree in information technology, computer science, or related engineering field.
Minimum of five years of working experience in the relevant field(s) mentioned above, especially in an environment with significant IT security standards.
Experience with all aspects of managing and trouble-shooting high availability data (for example, any SQL and NoSQL database management systems) and collaboration platforms (for example, Atlassian Confluence, Microsoft SharePoint, M-Files, OpenText Content Management Server, or similar) used for the secure hosting of sensitive data within the department.
Practical experience in data integration preferably using SQL Server Integration Services and data / messaging queuing (for example, RabbitMQ, or similar).
Practical experience with IT service quality standard processes and service delivery (for example, ITIL) and experience with agile-oriented solutions for development, deployment and operations (DevOps).
Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
The IAEA offers an attractive remuneration package including a tax-free annual net base salary starting at US $64121 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), a variable post adjustment which currently amounts to US $ 31868, dependency benefits, rental subsidy, education grant, relocation and repatriation expenses; Other benefits include 6 weeks' annual leave, home leave travel, pension plan and health insurance. More information on the conditions of employment can be found at\: https\://www.iaea.org/about/employment/professional-staff/conditions
- The IAEA's paramount consideration in the recruitment of staff member is to secure employees of the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity.
- Staff Members shall be selected without any unfair treatment or arbitrary distinction based on a person's race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, disability, age, language, social origin or other similar shared characteristic or trait.
- The IAEA is committed to gender equality and to promoting a diverse workforce. Applications from qualified women and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged.
- Applicants should be aware that IAEA staff members are international civil servants and may not accept instructions from any other authority. The IAEA is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. As part of the United Nations common system, the IAEA subscribes to the following core ethical standards (or values)\: Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for diversity.
- The IAEA has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and the IAEA, including sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the selection criteria stated in the vacancy announcement. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information. Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise, which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection may be subject to reference and background checks as part of the recruitment process.
- Appointment is subject to a satisfactory medical report.
- Staff members may be assigned to any location.
- Candidates appointed to posts in the Professional and higher categories are subject to IAEA rotation policy and their maximum tour of service shall normally be seven years.
- The IAEA retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade or with a different contract type, or to make an appointment with a modified job description or for shorter duration than indicated above.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: