Director, International Data Centre Division
|Division:||International Data Centre Division|
|Section:||Office of the Director, IDC|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||26 September 2023|
|Deadline for Applications:||10 November 2023|
|Reporting Date:||As soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
The International Data Centre Division (IDC) collects, processes and analyses monitoring data from more than 300 facilities in the International Monitoring System (IMS), and distributes them to Member States in both raw and analysed form. A mass storage system in its computer centre provides archiving capacity for all verification data, now dating back over two decades.
Under the broad guidance of the Executive Secretary, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support to and advise Senior Management on the receipt, collection, processing, analysing, reporting on and archiving of all waveform and radionuclide data from the International Monitoring System facilities, including the results of analysis conducted at certified laboratories;
- Plan, coordinate and direct the programme of work of the IDC Division for the achievement of goals pertaining to data collection, processing, analysis; software development; network operations (including the Global Communications Infrastructure); and technical assistance for States Signatories in the form of capacity building and training;
- Serve as Project Executive for the Science and Technology conference series, which brings together every two years scientists familiar with CTBT verification technologies to explore research and possible innovations for ensuring verification technology and methods meet modern standards pending the CTBT’s entry-into-force;
- Monitor performance, assess the achievements of goals set within the Division and oversee the process for addressing risks while enhancing coordination, teamwork, and maximum use of Division resources;
- Assess, interpret and oversee implementation of policies, establish procedures and practices to improve effectiveness and efficiency of Division activities and address concerns;
- Set priorities for the Division and ensure coordination to enhance teamwork within the Division and across the Provisional Technical Secretariat;
- Work with States Signatories to assure that the International Data Centre provides effective services and products as required by the CTBTO and report to the Commission and its subsidiary bodies on IDC and related issues;
- Direct the preparation of the programme and budget for the Division, confer with senior managers, assess inputs and outcomes and ascertain that objectives and priorities are in line with higher management strategic goals; present the division’s budget at meetings of senior managers, the Commission and its Subsidiary Bodies; manage the financial resources of the Division ensuring the best possible use is made of available funds, establishing appropriate controls for the monitoring and reporting on expenditures;
- Manage the human resources including by delegating authority, establishing performance standards and ensuring proper use of available resources to enable each Section to accomplish set goals and meet deadlines and monitor and assess the effectiveness of managers and staff in achieving objectives;
- Provide guidance, supervision and mentoring to the staff of the Division and ensure adherence to the performance appraisal system;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree in science, software engineering, geophysics or a related field.
Work Experience and Qualifications
- At least fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience of which at least five years should have been in a senior managerial position preferably in an international environment or one that embraces cultural diversity;
- Capacity to provide leadership and experience in managing staff and financial resources. Demonstrating a high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, as well as ability to build trust and to manage, lead and motivate a large and diverse group of staff in a multicultural environment with respect for diversity;
- Demonstrated ability and initiative for managing complex technical projects;
- Excellent judgment including strong political acumen with proven ability to work in a sensitive political environment;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret rules, policies and procedures;
- Experience in conducting complex negotiations diplomatically and with due regard to political sensitivities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is desirable.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Team work - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Leadership - Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
- Vision - Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks; clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals; generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction; conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
- Empowering Others - Delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations, and gives staff autonomy in important areas of their work; encourages others to set challenging goals; holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility; genuinely values all staff members’ input and expertise; shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort; involves others when making decisions that affect them.
- Building Trust - Provides an environment in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion; manages in a deliberate and predictable way; operates with transparency; has no hidden agenda; places confidence in colleagues, staff members and clients; gives proper credit to others; follows through on agreed upon actions; treats sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
- Managing Performance - Delegates appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
- Judgment/Decision Making - Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and/or Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: