Human Resources Associate (NPSA6) for various roles related to centralized HR Services (Roster Recruitment)
UNDP, as an integral part of its mission to fight poverty and improve the lives of people around the world, is committed to being open, transparent and accountable. As part of this commitment, UNDP adopted International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and established a Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) to provide IPSAS transactional recording (in the areas of revenue, expenses and fixed assets), procurement, advisory and support services to UNDP Offices worldwide, and to provide training to UNDP Offices where needed. Human Resources services within the GSSC was set up earlier in 2003 in Copenhagen and it provides customized service packages to more than 40,000 UN personnel from agencies, funds and programmes across the UN System. GSSC/HR in Copenhagen has established a legacy as a major Human Resources administration center within the United Nations and is recognized as a center of excellence. The Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) is part of the Bureau for Management Services (BMS).
In the area of Human Resources, the GSSC supports both staff and management in UNDP offices and units, with the full cycle of HR services ranging from recruitment, onboarding and contract administration, talent management, learning and development, HR policy and advisory services, benefits and entitlements management, payroll and banking transactions.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Team Leader for the respective service team, the HR Associate supports the transparent implementation of human resources services outsourced to the GSSC. S/he is accountable for the integrity, transparency and accuracy of the human resources services, assuring full compliance with HR policies and procedures of UNDP. The incumbent performs a variety of standard administrative processes and services ensuring high quality and accuracy of work and consistency in service delivery. The HR Associate advises internal and external clients and managers on policies, guidelines and services and promotes a collaborative and client-oriented approach, sharing knowledge and best practice, including participating in training courses and coaching. Clients with whom there is direct contact may include personnel from UNDP as well as other UN entities.
The HR Associate is jointly responsible for meeting the agreed GSSC work plan deliverables supporting the overall HR Strategy. S/he supports the coordination of the work of the team, in order to meet the work plan deliverables.
1. Administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies:
- Full compliance of records and reports with UN rules, regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework.
- Provision of guidance and information on corporate strategies, changes in rules and regulations, implementation of personnel rules and appropriate use of contractual modalities.
- Inputs to the GSSC business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in HR management in consultation with the direct supervisor.
2. Provision of recruitment services focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of recruitment processes including provision of inputs to preparation of recruitment strategies for each recruitment case, validation/grading of job descriptions (JDs) and Terms of Reference (TOR), vacancy announcements, screening of applicants, evaluation of candidate applications, gathering of candidate references, support to the organization of interview panels, finalization of candidate selection/approvals, and handover of completed recruitment cases to the GSSC Benefits & Entitlements Team or GSSC Personnel Services Agreement (PSA) Team for hiring, onboarding and contract management.
- Regular interaction with HR local focal points (HR LFP) in Country Offices and/or Regional Hubs on consolidated region-wide operationalization of recruitment strategies and plans.
- Manage communication with candidates as it relates to the outcome of their applications.
- Regularly track all transactions related to recruitment processes; maintain and update recruitment measurements and tracking systems as well as ensure appropriate filing for future reference/audits.
- Ensure accurate data management in official databases.
- Contribute to the production of insightful recruitment analytics reports with regard to critical vacancies taking into account UNDP’s corporate priorities of gender parity and workforce diversity.
- Prepare submissions to the Compliance Review Board (CRB).
- Support delivery of a high quality, timely and accurate recruitment service to enhance client understanding and confidence in GSSC HR as a credible HR service provider.
- Promote equity, transparency and consistency in the interpretation, determination, implementation and administration of HR recruitment policies, procedures and guidelines applicable to staff and personnel recruitments.
3. Administration of personnel contracts:
- Facilitate administrative onboarding personnel hired on Personnel HR contracts (PSA/FTA/TA/Intern), including issuance, extension and termination of a contract, enrolment in medical insurance schemes, etc.
- Administer and certify processing of benefits in full compliance with applicable Personnel Policies and Procedures and the Accountability Framework.
- Determine, verify and approve financial entitlements related to Personnel contracts, including hires, life and organization events, end of service, ongoing entitlements and salaries to achieve the following results:
o Accurate determination of financial entitlements of personnel transactions.
o Timely processing and approving of financial payments to support Personnel policies in coordination with GSSC payroll team.
o Increased efficiency as a result of reduction in recoveries, advances and other exceptional payments.
o Accurate processing of financial entitlements to correct UNDP and third-party funds.
- Act as an internal advisor on matters relating to HR practices, fostering partnerships with internal and external stakeholders by briefing and advising clients and personnel of the Personnel policies and procedures.
- Provide high quality, timely and accurate service; foster client understanding and confidence in the GSSC as a credible HR service administrator.
- Maintain accurate workforce database for contract holders under his/her portfolio.
4. Knowledge Management:
- Identify areas for improving processes and standard operating procedures (SOPs) to maximize efficiency and simplify procedures.
- Provide inputs for preparation of knowledge articles, frequently asked questions (FAQ) and best practices; contribute to synthesizing lessons learnt and best practices.
- Conduct periodic learning sessions for Country Offices and Regional Hubs on HR issues.
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Human Resources Associate will be reporting to Team Leader under the substantive guidance of the P3 HR Specialist and overall leadership of HR Manager.
- LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility:
- LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination:
- LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
- LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
- LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
HR - Recruitment / Recruitment design and management:
- Knowledge of, ability to design and manage end to end recruitment processes
HR - Recruitment / Assessment and selection:
- Knowledge and ability to apply various candidate assessment and selection methodologies, tools and platforms; ability to effectively align them with specific recruitment needs
HR -Compensation/remuneration / Managing compensation and benefits:
- Ability to design compensation plans which are aligned to current and future organization needs and market conditions; knowledge of and ability to apply the ICSC compensation methodologies and principles. Knowledge of and ability to design benefits-related processes, programmes, and tools, including benefit enrolment and amendments.
Business Management / Communication:
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
Business Management / Digital Awareness and Literacy:
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
Business Management / Customer Satisfaction/Client Management:
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs.
- Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
Business Development / Knowledge Generation:
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with at least six (6) years relevant work experience, or Bachelors’ degree in Human Resources, Business or Public Administration, with relevant work experience of at least three (3) years will be given due consideration.
- Specialized certification in HR is highly desirable.
- Minimum 3-6 years of experience in client services provision, is required at the national or international level, including some experience in the area of HR transactions, recruitments, benefits and entitlements administration.
- Advance user of MS Office packages (MS Word, Excel etc.).
- Proficiency in using collaboration tools, as well as familiarity with digital platforms and new technologies.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Commitment to the United Nations system’s mission, vision and values; cultural sensitivity and adaptability.
- Familiarity with interpretation and application of UN/UNDP policies, rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of integrated HR management systems.
- Work experience from an international organization.
- Experience in preparing communication materials and reports to external clients.
- Fluency in English (both written and verbal).
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is highly desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: