Development Policy and Inclusion Analyst
UNDP Pakistan has established a Development Policy Unit (DPU). The unit specializes in undertaking policy research, analysis, and dialogue on selected development issues including macro-economic stabilization, debt management, financial resilience, sustainable development, and policy-level mainstreaming of vulnerable groups including gender and youth, poverty and inequality, urbanization, etc. These analyses are produced in several forms, such as our quarterly publication the Development Advocate Pakistan, the UNDP flagship product the National Human Development Report, and as independent analysis in the form of reports, policy briefs etc.
DPU is extensively engaged with the Government of Pakistan and the Provincial Government and their associated Ministries and departments to ascertain their needs for policy research and advocacy, and to provide timely advice to inform public policy. DPU policy work is also aimed at informing and providing cross-unit support in areas of sustainable development. DPU is also engaged with other stakeholders, academia, think tanks and development partners to generate dialogue and advocacy for emerging development issues.
In this regard, UNDP is hiring services of a Development Policy and Inclusion Analyst to support in-house research, data collection and analysis, report writing, and related programmatic activities.
Lead research activities
- Provide technical support in undertaking research and analysis based on primary and secondary data related to the National Human Development Report
- Supporting Development Policy Unit in undertaking background research/literature review for other DPU publications and analysis including Development Advocate Pakistan, and other such publications.
- Supporting the Development Policy Unit in conducting and coordinating research and related programmatic interventions in areas of macro-economic stabilization, debt management, financial resilience, gender mainstreaming, and social development including social protection, poverty alleviation, and other emerging themes.
- Analyzing primary and secondary data and writing analytical pieces and chapters for various reports and publications
- Developing survey instruments, if needed for any policy research work at DPU monitoring the quality and progress of surveys, and analysis of the survey results.
- Create strategic partnerships with appropriate organizations across Pakistan on development issues relevant to Pakistan
- Organize consultations through agenda setting, ensuring appropriate participation of people and logistical considerations
- Facilitate dialogue through consultations with multiple stakeholders
- Lead focus groups and conduct one-to-one interviews, while recording output in a comprehensive manner.
Contribute to the preparation of DPU publications
- Work closely with the DPU colleagues, to interpret data and provide analysis from surveys and secondary data sources.
- Synthesize output from research activities, data analysis and consultation events into policy briefs/reports.
- Provide policy advice and recommendations for DPU policy publications
- Ensure close cooperation and communication with the Communication Analyst, and all other technical staff in in the development of reports and publications.
- Achieve Results: Level 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: Level 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: Level 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: Level 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: Level 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: Level 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Level 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
Digital & Innovation
- Data analysis: Ability to extract, analyse and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision making
- Advocacy strategy and implementation: Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change
2030 Agenda: Engagement & Effectiveness
- Strategic Policy Engagement: Economic forecasting
Business Direction & Strategy
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Relationship management: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain, and/or strengthen working relations, trust, and mutual understanding
- Advanced university degree (Master's Degree or equivalent) in Economics, Development, Public Policy, or related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in Economics, Development, Public Policy, or related field in combination with additional 2 years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master´s degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Master´s degree) or 4 years (with Bachelor´s degree) of relevant experience in undertaking research on local development issues that may include macro-economic stabilization, debt management, financial resilience, and sustainable development.
- Excellent understanding of the national economic and social issues
- Experience in undertaking research and producing data analytical pieces and facilitating organization and presentation at multi-stakeholder policy dialogues is an asset.
- An excellent ability to plan, organize, implement, and report on work
- Outstanding communication, advocacy, presentation, and facilitation skills (including virtual facilitation)
- The ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Experience working with the UN is an advantage
- Substantial experience in social policy and development, understanding of issues that may include macro-economic stabilization, debt management, and financial resilience, and awareness of SDGs-related policy matters
- Experience in collecting data through surveys, focus group discussions, and key informant interviews.
- Extensive experience in analysis of primary and secondary data, undertaking research and producing writing analytical pieces with some exposure to the usage of computers and MS Office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and programmes for statistical analysis of data
- Demonstrated experience of facilitating organization, conducting and/or presenting at multi-stakeholder policy dialogues.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in local language is required.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: