2665 Regional Anti-Corruption Specialist (UNODC)
UNODC is implementing the Regional Programme for South Eastern Europe (RP SEE) which covers inter alia the Republic of Serbia (along with Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia and Kosovo(1) and works in cooperation with inter alia the Global Programme to Prevent and Combat Corruption through effective implementation of the United Nations Convention against Corruption in support of Sustainable Development Goal 16.
The Regional Programme provides the overall framework for UNODC involvement in South Eastern Europe and addresses strategic themes, related to the rule of law; good governance (especially in the areas of organized crime and trafficking in drugs, human beings and goods); preventing and curbing corruption; supporting the development of national drug and crime policies and strategies and their implementation plans, in line with EU requirements under Chapters 23 and 24 of the EU acquis communautaires.
Within assigned authority, the Regional Anti-Corruption Specialist will be responsible for providing assistance to the implementation of UNODC’s technical assistance activities within the thematic/sectoral area of corruption and economic crime, effective implementation of the United Nations Convention against Corruption including implementation of activities under the regional Anti-Corruption and Illicit Finance Roadmap.
This position is located in the UNODC Programme Office in Serbia (POSRB), with duty station in Belgrade (Serbia), Regional Office for South Eastern Europe (ROSEE), Regional Section for Europe, West and Central Asia (RSEWCA), Division for Operations (DO), United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The incumbent will work under the overall supervision of the UNODC Regional Representative and the direct supervision of the Regional Anti-Corruption Adviser and Head of the Programme Office in Serbia (POSRB). The incumbent will work closely with UNODC headquarters in Vienna.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within assigned authority, the Regional Anti-Corruption Specialist will be responsible for providing assistance to the implementation of UNODC’s technical assistance activities within the thematic/sectoral area of corruption and economic crime, including implementation of activities under the regional Anti-Corruption and Illicit Finance Roadmap, strengthening the capacities for coordination in the investigation of corruption in the region, promotion of anti-corruption education in the region.
As member of a team, the incumbent will provide support by coordinating the work of consultants. The incumbent will work in close collaboration with the operations team, other programme staff and other UN Agencies, UNODC HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors, private sector and civil society ensuring successful programme implementation. The incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
Acting as substantive focal point with national stakeholders on the implementation of the anti-corruption activities in South Eastern Europe
- In coordination with the Regional Adviser and in accordance with UNODC's overall strategy and as an integral element of the UNODC Regional Programmes, provide expert advice and input to the development and implementation of technical assistance programmes in anti-corruption;
- Provide advice and assistance, where necessary and required, in enhancing and upgrading the relevant national legislation and other legal instruments in conformity with UNCAC;
- Provide advisory services and technical expertise to specialized anti-corruption bodies and units on preventing, detecting, investigating and prosecuting cases of corruption and related offences;
- Identify national implementation partners and solicit their support for implementation of project activities;
- Ensure regular communication with national counterparts and project partners;
- Act as a resource person and /or moderator in regional workshops, seminars, training courses and meetings in the field of anti-corruption;
- Cooperate and coordinate closely with governments, civil society organizations, academic institutions, and donors for the development, implementation and evaluation of anti-corruption technical assistance projects;
- Monitor and analyze specific aspects of programme/project implementation; review documents and reports;
- Provide support and guidance to other UNODC offices in the region to enhance their capacity, understanding and programming skills in the field of anti-corruption;
- Undertake research and data collection, provide inputs into and prepare various written outputs, including but not limited to reports, briefing notes, background materials, project documentation (including project documents, project revisions, workplans, logical frameworks, budgets, etc) and others.
Managing anti-corruption programmes in the region in line with UNODC guidelines and standards
- Implement, under the overall supervision of the Regional Anti-Corruption Adviser all programme activities, including the organization and conduct of regional and national training seminars and workshops on anti-corruption;
- Prepare costed annual workplans, ToRs for recruitment and contracting of consultants and subcontractors, as well as detailed plans for training courses, seminars, workshops, meetings and for provision of equipment in the region as required;
- Prepare monitoring reports (monthly, biennial and annual), background documents, mid-term evaluations and the final evaluation as well as any other required reports;
Supporting the implementation of the UNODC Regional Programme for South Eastern Europe, in particular in Serbia:
- Support public awareness activities and promotion of the UNODC work in Serbia and in the region;
- Ensure regular exchange of information and experience with other projects, cross-learning and sharing results and good practices;
- Perform other duties as required, in particular in the context of the implementation and future development of the RP SEE and its sub-programmes;
- Participate in the work of the UNCT in Serbia;
- Perform other duties as required.
Professionalism: Has knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to administration, programme/project management, criminal justice and/or related fields. Has knowledge of policy, institutional and legislative aspects of preventing and combating corruption, including their international dimensions. Has knowledge of the mandates of UNODC, in particular substantive knowledge of the United Nations Convention against Corruption. Has knowledge of functional areas with good research and analytical skills. Is able to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues. Has knowledge of various research methodologies and sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Has ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Is able to apply judgement in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in law, criminal justice, criminology, or related areas.
At least 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in an area related to public administration, crime prevention and criminal justice, preferably with a focus on anti-corruption and/or closely related issues. Experience with asset recovery and international cooperation is a strong asset. Experience of working in an international setting or with international partners is an asset. Substantial previous experience in working with senior government officials, donor representatives on policy and strategic issues is an asset.
Fluency in Serbian and English and good drafting skills are required. Working knowledge of at least one of the other languages spoken in the country/region, is an asset.
Proficiency in current office software applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and related information technology software and hardware (i.e. servers, internet, etc.). Experience in the provision of United Nations technical assistance, specifically projects in the area of crime prevention and criminal justice and familiarity with United Nations administrative procedures is desirable.
(1) All references to Kosovo shall be understood to be in the context of the Security Council Resolution 1244 (1999).
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: