Project Assistant - Bhubaneswar
UNDP has been working in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development. Together with the Government of India and development partners, we have worked towards eradicating poverty, reducing inequalities, strengthening local governance, enhancing community resilience, protecting the environment, supporting policy initiatives and institutional reforms, and accelerating sustainable development for all.
With projects and programmes in every state and union territory in India, UNDP works with national and subnational government, and diverse development actors to deliver people-centric results, particularly for the most vulnerable and marginalized communities. As the integrator for collective action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the UN system, we are committed to supporting the Government of India’s national development vision and priorities and accelerating the achievement of the SDGs for the people and the planet.
UNDP India’s new Country Programme (2023-2027) builds on our prior work and aims to provide an integrated approach to development solutions in three strategic portfolios:
Strong, accountable and evidence-led institutions for accelerated achievement of the SDGs.
Enhanced economic opportunities and social protection to reduce inequality, with a focus on the marginalized.
Climate-smart solutions, sustainable ecosystems and resilient development for reduced vulnerability.
South-South cooperation, gender equality and social inclusion are promoted across the pillars. The programme is supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, strategic innovation and accelerator labs, and data and digital architecture.
You are invited to join a team of future-smart development professionals to support India in achieving the national and globally agreed goals. As part of the UNDP team, your focus will be to work with diverse stakeholders to find country-specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and reach those furthest behind first.
UNDP is working in the Government of Odisha, The Government of Odisha (GoO) is focused on doubling farmers income and farmers’ well-being by addressing the constraints, optimal usage of available natural resources and using technology to ensure a growth that is environmentally, economically, and technologically inclusive, scalable, and sustainable. The state office is now in the process of drawing up specific plans of action with time bound targets and milestones in discussion with various line departments.
The overall objective of the proposed engagement is to work closely with the state governments and manage the project implementation across northeastern India. This will include networking with the state governments, relevant departments, private sector, civil societies, implementation of the projects, and leading online/offline events.
Job Purpose and Scope of Work
UNDP proposes to engage a Project Assistant to work under the supervision of the State Head, Odisha. S/he will be based in Bhubaneshwar with frequent travel across the project locations. The incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks:
Support the project team to ensure effective project planning and implementation
- Assist in compiling and summarizing information and data for the formulation of project work plans. In consultation with project team, draft annual/quarterly budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements, and on other specific project related topics or issues.
- Support project implementation in accordance with the project documents, annual work plans and other agreements between UNDP and responsible partners. Review project documents for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures and identify inconsistencies for referral to supervisor. Compile, summarize and present basic information/data on a specific project and related topics or issues;
- Contribute to and support data collection for gender analysis and gender mainstreaming at the project level.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to ensure successful project delivery that includes organization/coordination of project events, procurement and finance-related activities, contract management, recruitment, and coordination of field visits and project-related missions.
Support partnerships and resource mobilization.
- Establish and maintain contacts and cooperation with the relevant UN Agencies, government institutions, and other partners and relevant stakeholders. Provide support in updating database of the relevant public and development partners, and other stakeholders who are counterparts for the project.
- Support regular communication with partners, project counterparts, stakeholders, and beneficiaries.
- Support dissemination of high-quality information and visibility of the project activities among the stakeholders.
- Monitor project budget, financial resources, and accounting for effective and transparent use of available resources and to ensure accuracy and reliability of data/information used in financial reports.
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing relevant to the assigned project.
- Participate in training on internal procedures for the project staff and provide support to the organization of training and other capacity building activities as needed.
- Maintain organized records of project data, field activities, case studies, human-interest stories, photographs, and other relevant documents that can be drawn upon in support of knowledge sharing and advocacy.
Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
- Coordination of travel arrangements, including purchase of tickets, DSA calculations, PO preparation, arrangement of shipment/courier
- Support procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals
- Support the organization of progress meetings, field, and study visits to monitor project implementation and support organization of workshops, roundtables, and conferences within the project.
- Support with protocol matters, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
- Management of cash receipts and petty cash as required.
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance, HR and procurement records and documents.
- Training of staff on administrative procedures
- Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work
- Preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports for donor
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system for voucher processing, posting and recording are matched and completed.
- Timely closure of accounts
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Timely response to CO requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Implementation of HR processes in State Office as applicable including support to contract management
Provides support to proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Coordination of assets management in the state office, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports.
- Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies
- Implementation of supplier selection and evaluation
- Recording receipt of goods in ERP towards the delivery of the goods/services
Any other work assigned by the supervisor.
Direct Reporting To1: State Head, Odisha, NPSA 9
Overall Reporting To2: Chief Advisor, SDG Acceleration Unit, NOD
Reportees to this position (if applicable): NA
Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Working with Evidence and Data - Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions, and supporting decision-making
Digital Awareness and Literacy - Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
Customer Satisfaction/Client Management - Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Communication - Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels.
Monitoring - Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
Technical - Finance
Budget management - Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
Administration & Operations
Event Management (including retreats, trainings and meetings) - Support projects with event management including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
- Secondary Education is required, or
- University degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in Development Studies, Public Administration or Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field will be given due consideration, but is not a requirement.
- Minimum of 5 years (with Secondary Education) or 2 years (with bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible administrative or project experience is required
- Experience in supporting implementation of large-scale Government/Donor funded projects is an asset.
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis, including in formulation, monitoring and evaluation of strategies and development programmes/projects is an asset.
- Exposure to state Planning Processes and annual budgeting exercise of the government.
- Experience in coordination with stakeholders is required.
- Adequate experience of drafting Project Proposals including monitoring tools such as log frame among other is an asset.
- Experience in the use of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and web-based management systems, and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in preparation of financial reports and overviews · Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation tools · Knowledge of project management processes · Knowledge of procurement procedures of national / international organizations
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of local language is mandatory.
Remuneration starting at INR 7,10,978 (Annual) / INR 5,92,48 (Monthly) as per the scale depending on qualifications and experience. The remuneration is excluding 8.33% pension amount paid over and above the salary.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: