Project Officer - NPSA 8 - Tripoli, Libya
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) works in approximately 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. Anchored in the 2030 Agenda for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and committed to the principles of universality, equality, and leaving no one behind, UNDP supports countries’ efforts to strengthen frameworks for development, peacebuilding, disaster risk reduction, and climate change.
In Libya, UNDP has designed a new Country Programme Document (CPD) for 2023–2025, which proposes as one of its three major objectives to invest in local peacebuilding and resilience, marking a transition from immediate stabilization towards longer-term development and peacebuilding. In this regard, UNDP is supporting peace and resilience in targeted clusters across Libya by strengthening the capacity of local institutions and communities to manage conflicts and tensions, complementing its focus on enhancing accountable, effective, and gender sensitive governance, and promoting sustainable green growth and greater resilience to climate change.
The Strengthening Local Capacities for Resilience and Recovery Project Top Up- funded by the EU - aims at supporting local authorities in Libya to respond to the many conflicts and human mobility induced challenges that impact negatively people access to essential services, social cohesion and community security, and jobs and sustainable livelihoods. The overall objective of the project is to improve the living conditions and resilience of vulnerable populations (including migrants, refugees, IDPs, returnees and host communities), in particular in the municipalities most affected by migratory flow and/or affected by the conflict.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, and in close coordination with the Output Leads for Social Cohesion and Economic Recovery, the Project Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation and follow up of the project activities in the West and South of Libya, while also supporting the timely and efficient delivery of the project technical, operational, financial and administrative outputs. She/he will also contribute to regular outreach and coordination with the project beneficiaries as well as liaising with Libyan counterparts and working closely with the team of local coordinators.
The Project Officer will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the Project Manager of SLCRR project and in close coordination with the Project Specialists, Regional Coordinators and Output Leads.
The Project Officer will be responsible for the strategic programme planning, coordination, implementation as well monitoring and evaluation of project activities, including timely delivery of results taking into consideration agreed upon workplans. All outputs of the project will be implemented regionally in the West and South of Libya.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, and in close coordination with the Output Leads for Social Cohesion and Economic Recovery, the Project Officer will undertake the following:
- Provide support in the implementation and coordination of all project activities in accordance with approved work plans jointly formulated with project beneficiaries and partners;
- Strengthen the Monitoring Mechanisms of project outputs and regularly analyze the Impact of the Project on local communities through regular engagement with local authorities and targeted communities;
- Follo-up on the capacity building component of UNDP Resilience and Recovery Project through developing the necessary tools and questionnaires, conducting interviews and prepare related ToRs in consultation with Project Manager;
- Provide support to local and international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results;
- Support the work of local coordinators in the process of collecting information in the agreed sectors in collaboration with the local authorities, and submit the priority plan to the Project Manager for approval;
- Maintain close coordination with project partners including Libyan and international partners, and help ensuring synergies and avoiding overlaps in project implementation;
- Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels.
- Promote a knowledge sharing and learning culture among program staff and other implementing partners at all levels;
- Ensure timely submission of required written inputs, including progress reports, briefing notes and minutes of meeting, among others;
- Immediately report to the Project Manager any variation or problem arising during the implementation of various work activities;
- Arrange external and internal meetings (including the meetings of the Project Board, Technical level, as well as other relevant meetings etc.).
|Achieve Results:||LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline|
|Think Innovatively:||LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements|
|Learn Continuously:||LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback|
|Adapt with Agility:||LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible|
|Act with Determination:||LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident|
|Engage and Partner:||LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships|
|Enable Diversity and Inclusion:||LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination|
People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)
|Min. Education requirements||
Advanced University degree (Master Degree or equivalent) in international development, development studies, international relations, project management, engineering, public administration or other related field is required
A first level university degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) with add 2 years of exp will be given due consideration in lieu of master degree
|Min. years of relevant work experience||
Up to 2 years (with master’s degree) or 2 years (with bachelor’s degree) of Relevant experience in project management support international development, development studies, international relations, engineering, public administration, or another related field.
|Required skills||Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.|
|Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section||
Working experience with an international organization, UN agency or NGO would be desirable.
Experience in peacebuilding/resilience programmes is an advantage. Additional qualifications in project management is an advantage.
At least 2 years of experience in liaising with government authorities and/or civil society organizations.
Proven ability to develop and nurture successful partnerships.
|Required Language(s)||Fluency in English and Arabic is required, both written and spoken.|
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: