Scientist I - Breeding Long Duration Rice
Asia and the Pacific: India
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The Rice Breeding Innovations Department will develop and deploy innovative breeding strategies, tools, and technologies to sustainably enhance the genetic potential of rice for yield and its ability to tolerate biotic and abiotic stresses while improving the grain/nutritional quality; and helping disseminate the new products faster to farmers by working closely with our NARES partners.
The position requires the incumbent to have a leading role in conducting the breeding activities of the late maturity breeding pipeline TLaSF-I. Developing the breeding program, aligning it to the OneRice Breeding strategy, and establishing stronger and sustainable ties with the NARES network partners for the above pipeline in India are the key responsibilities. The position also critically requires the lead to secure funding support for the breeding activities and the breeding team of the TLaSF-I pipeline. The position requires strong knowledge of breeding, quantitative genetics, and modern data-driven decisions to help in the capacity development of NARES partners. This is to be achieved by working closely with the biometrics lead, phenotyping scientists, and trait introgression scientists from IRRI-HQ and SAH, India, to optimize the TLaSF-I breeding pipeline. Extensive hands-on knowledge and expertise in rice breeding and genetics and phenotyping of germplasm under challenging environments. Expertise in advanced quantitative genetics, prediction breeding, data analysis, and simulation work using R and other software is required. The position requires expertise in effectively engaging with the NARES partners and closer involvement in capacity-building programs. Capability and demonstration to train scholars and lead the associate researchers in the team are highly required.
This position will be based in Hyderabad, India, and is open for international applications.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the breeding activities of the TLaSF-I breeding pipeline at the South Asia Hub (SAH) in alignment with the late maturity breeding program at IRRI-HQ following the OneRice breeding strategy.
- Securing funding and building the team and NARES Network partners to support the breeding activities of the TLaSF-I breeding pipeline.
- Develop the infrastructure and required germplasm for the TLaSF-I breeding pipeline and support the network activities of the overall late-maturity breeding pipelines in India.
- Breeding optimization and modernization of TLaSF-I breeding pipeline through modern tools and quantitative genetics approaches.
- Engage with the NARES partners in trial establishment, advancement, and breeding decisions of all the late maturity breeding pipelines.
- Take a proactive role and responsibility for capacity development and training of the NARES partners along with the other SAH scientists for creating a strong IRRI-NARES network in India for the late maturity breeding pipelines.
- Training scholars, graduate students, researchers, and visiting scientists in close working with the lead scientist from IRRI-HQ.
- Actively participate in the strategic planning and high-level decisions on policies and strategies with the supervisor and PDVLRT cluster leadership from HQ.
- Contribute to scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals and strategic documents, highlighting research findings to reflect/showcase IRRI’s late maturity research.
- Active engagement with the late maturity breeding leads from IRRI-HQ to deliver on TLaSF-I breeding pipelines' key activities and goals.
- Engagement and coordination with the breeding lead in managing all the project and breeding activities from SAH, India for all the assigned breeding pipelines.
- Strong engagement with the NARES partners - strengthens collaboration, network, and capacity development.
- Strong involvement in building effective and new collaborations and partnerships with rice researchers across India for the late maturity pipeline.
- Coordinate closely with the PDVLRT cluster lead, GRS regional lead, NRS support staff, and GRS staff at IRRI HQ for strategic planning and advice.
- Delivery of the improved germplasm for the TLaSF-I pipeline and demonstration of enhanced genetic gains in alignment with OneRice breeding strategy.
- Demonstration on strengthening the IRRI-NARES network for the late maturity breeding pipelines.
- Demonstrate the development of robust phenotypic screening procedures and protocols for salinity, submergence, and flooding traits for the late maturity pipelines in India.
- Demonstration of leadership and management qualities in managing the teams and working with the regional team.
- Demonstrate collaborations, and partnerships and secure external grants and funds for supporting the breeding program.
- Effective communication of scientific outputs and publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
- 2-3 years experience at Post-Doctoral Fellow level in IRRI with rice breeding, quantitative genetics, and phenotyping
- 2-5 years post Ph.D. relevant work experience for external candidates with rice breeding, quantitative genetics, and phenotyping
- Advanced plant breeding techniques and predictive breeding
- Breeding simulations and optimization of the rice breeding program
- Experience in handling breeding programs
- Knowledge and skills in applied quantitative genetics
- In-depth knowledge of extensive phenotypic screening for abiotic stresses
- Expert in R language and other software
- Proven ability to perform in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Leadership and project management skills
- Experience in rice research, international work experience, dealing with multiple abiotic stresses, and experience in handling NARES breeding network partners, applied in genomic selections and quantitative genetics skills in advanced knowledge in R script, mixed model analysis, and higher advanced modeling is preferable.
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances.
Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: