Technical Assistant (FLS/AGA/CNS), MID
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Regional Office is primarily responsible for maintaining continuous liaison with the States to which it is accredited and with appropriate organizations, regional civil aviation bodies and sub-regional bodies and UN Agencies and programmes. The Regional Office ensures interregional coordination and promotes the timely and harmonized implementation of ICAO policies, decisions, Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) and air navigation plans. The Regional Office also provides technical guidance and assists States with implementation.
The position reports to the Regional Officer, Flight Safety and Operations (FLS), Regional Officer, Aerodromes and Ground Aids (AGA) and Regional Officer, Communication, Navigation and Surveillance (CNS), and Regional Officer, Safety Implementation (RO-SAF/IMP) who provide technical advice and assistance to States on the development and implementation of Regional Plans; and coordinate the delivery of ICAO programme activities within the Regional Office in collaboration with States, regional and sub-regional groups.
The incumbent provides support to the directorate including the RO/FLS, RO-SAF/IMP, RO/AGA and RO/CNS. Specific instructions and directives will be provided by them on special tasks or complex issues.
Function 1 (incl. Expected results)
Ensures smooth management of meetings in terms of logistical arrangements, documentation and technical material as well as post meeting follow up actions, achieving results such as:
• Assist FLS, AGA, SAF/IMP, and CNS Officers with the conduct of regional technical meetings, workshops and seminars within and outside the Regional Office.
• Compile draft meeting reports, arrange, prepare and process meeting documentation, including draft working and information papers and presentation related to meetings, seminars and workshops managed by FLS, SAF/IMP, AGA and CNS Sections, and arrange for the meeting documentation to be uploaded on the ICAO MID Website.
• Prepare and oversee the tracking, collation and distribution of meeting documentation.
• Format and publish working/information papers for meetings for which the FLS, SAF/IMP, AGA and CNS Sections are responsible.
• Liaise with States authorities and international organizations concerned in relation to the preparation of meeting papers and advising, as necessary, on ICAO provisions.
• Maintain an efficient recording system of follow-up actions on recommendations made by regional technical meetings for which the FLS, SAF/IMP, AGA and CNS Officers have prime responsibility, including recommendations made by Regional Air Navigation Plan and Middle East Navigation Planning and Implementation Regional Group (MIDANPIRG) meetings, and the Middle East Regional Aviation Safety Group (RASG-MID). Maintain records of action taken and/or required.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Monitors the preparation and processing of amendment to ICAO Documents, achieving results such as:
• Assist in the preparation and processing of amendment proposals for the AGA subject of the Regional Supplementary Procedures (Doc 7030) and maintain registration of these amendments.
• Prepare draft State Letters transmitting proposed amendments to the documents above to States, collate replies to the circulation of proposals and prepare draft documentation to be submitted to Headquarters.
• Undertake follow-up actions on the progress of amendment proposals in a timely manner.
• Prepare correspondence informing States of the approval of new amendments and the applicability date.
• Keep the status records of amendment proposals updated.
• Ensure the process of amendment proposals and its approval using the on-line system on ICAO website.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Maintains Regional Guidance Materials and Documents, achieving results such as:
• Edit and check for consistency of replies from States and international organizations to the materials.
• Upload the materials on the MID website.
• Maintain FLS, SAF/IMP, AGA and CNS Sections filing system and copies of ICAO documents and guidance materials (e.g. Annexes and Manuals) to ensure all amendments are incorporated and records of amendments are kept up-to-date.
• Establish and maintain records of progress on subjects for which FLS, SAF/IMP, AGA and CNS sections require follow-up actions.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Provides general technical and administrative supports to FLS, SAF/IMP, AGA and CNS Sections, achieving results such as:
• Manage all logistics arrangements for meetings and conferences, such as venue preparation, issue meeting invitations and reminders as required, registration of participants, etc.
• Maintain records of mission/meeting programme for the MID Regional Office.
• Assist with the preparation, distribution, and monitoring and recording of responses to, State letters and other official communications between MID Regional Office and States.
• Assist with the design and conduct of surveys/questionnaires including the collection and analysis of the resultant data.
• Prepare drafts of routine documents e.g. meeting reports, briefings etc. and correspondence related to FLS, SAF/IMP, AGA and CNS technical activities.
• Perform other duties as assigned (including providing cover in the absence of other Secretaries/Associates).
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Manages information and materials related to FLS, SAF/IMP, AGA and CNS sections functions, achieving results such as:
• Keep up-to-date with ICAO terminology, modern editorial trends and software. Answer queries by translators and exchange information regarding technical terminology.
• Review and edit, for conformity with prescribed style and applying quality control techniques, written material relating to the work of the FLS, SAF/IMP, AGA and CNS C section.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Commitment to Continuous Learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
Completion of secondary education and professional training in office management, secretarial and computer skills.
• At least five years of progressively responsible experience in office administration in a public or private administration is required.
• Good knowledge and work experience in office management, communication and coordination tasks, maintenance of records and file, modern office technology is required.
• Experience working in a multi-national and multi-cultural environment. Experience in working with sensitive and confidential matters in a prompt and discrete manner is required.
• Experience in administrative policies, protocol and procedures of the UN or large multinational organization is desirable.
• Experience in ICAO’s activities, practices and procedures, particularly of the administrative, functions and structure of the Organization is desirable.
• Experience in dealing with high level officials, government representatives or senior executives from States, is desirable.
Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English and Arabic
Basic knowledge of any of the following languages of the Organization (Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish)
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.Special Notice
Please note that this is a locally-recruited position and restricted to Egyptian Citizens, Permanent Residents of Egypt and applicants with a work permit.
It should be noted that this post is to be filled on a fixed-term basis for an initial period of Three (3) years (first year is probationary for an external candidate).
The ICAO Assembly recently reaffirmed its commitment to enhancing gender equality and the advancement of women by supporting UN Sustainable Development Goal 5 “Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.”
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for ICAO positions, especially in the Professional and higher level categories.
ICAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Secretary General and may be assigned to any activities or offices of the Organization within the duty station.
ICAO staff members are expected to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their status as international civil servants. In this connection, ICAO has incorporated the 2013 Standards of Conduct for the International Civil Service into the ICAO Personnel Instructions.
ICAO offers an attractive benefit package to its employees in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC),
The statutory retirement age for staff entering or re-entering service after 1 January 2014 is 65. For external applicants, only those who are expected to complete a term of appointment will normally be considered.
Remuneration: Level Net Base Salary per annum
G-5 EGP 306,297
United Nations Considerations
In accordance with ICAO Staff Regulations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Due regard shall be paid to the importance of recruiting staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible and ensuring equal gender representation. Subject to the foregoing, selection of staff members shall be made without distinction as to race, sex or religion, nor shall there be any discrimination on account of any disability of a candidate who meets the qualifications required to perform the tasks. Unless otherwise permitted under the ICAO Staff Regulations, appointment and promotion of staff members shall be made on a competitive basis.
Candidates will not be considered for employment with ICAO if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the Inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in Inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised in Inspira will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
ICAO does NOT charge any fees or request money from candidates at any stage of the recruitment process, nor does it concern itself with bank account details of applicants. Requests of this nature allegedly made on behalf of ICAO are fraudulent and should be disregarded.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: