Information Management Analyst (SC8)
The mission of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to i) alleviate human suffering and disasters in emergencies; ii) advocate for the rights of people in need; iii) promote preparedness and prevention; and iv) facilitate sustainable solutions.
As part of its operations, OCHA’s Regional Office for Asia-Pacific (ROAP) produces and delivers a number of information products and services including data coordination, databases, mapping and info graphics which inform the humanitarian community in their response to the humanitarian situation in the region.
OCHA is seeking an Information Management Analyst on a one-year period to assist in the production and delivery of Information Management products and services. She/He will be part of the Information Management Unit, working in close relationship with colleagues in other units as well as our humanitarian partners in the region.
Under the supervision of the Regional Information Management Officer, and overall direction of the Head of Office, the Information Management Analyst will be expected to support the implementation and maintenance of OCHA’s global Information Management Strategy and to:
- Support data coordination, especially as it relates to sectoral data (e.g. Who does What Where and When (5W) data), assessment data, disaster data, vulnerability and other operational datasets;
- Build/ maintain regular contacts with partners in the region, to collect data;
- Compile and update available GIS data such as Common Operational Datasets (CODs), hazard data, Climate data and other relevant datasets;
- Process data (including GIS data) and present the data using tabular/ graphical /geographical representation for analysis and mapping;
- Perform data analysis and develop information products such as infographics, snapshots, dashboard (including online dashboards), maps etc. and contribute to planning and monitoring reports,
- Maintain online platforms and services;
- Work closely with clients to identify their needs and advise on the information products and services that OCHA can offer to enhance their work;
- Develop strong links with other IM staff in the humanitarian community to promote coordination and information-sharing between organisations;
- Participate in coordination meetings to identify information needs and provide technical support;
- Ensure appropriate dissemination of meeting minutes, assessment reports and other information products to relevant partners;
- Maintain contact and distribution lists;
- Any other duties as may be requested by the Information Management Unit.
- Achieve Results: Level 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: Level 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: Level 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: Level 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: Level 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: Level 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Level 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Working with Evidence and Data: Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for content, or responsive to a stated need
- Integration within the UN: Ability to identity, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations
Digital & Innovation
- Data Strategy and Management: Knowledge to draft or execute a data strategy or a data management framework
- Facilitation of digital innovation: Ability to facilitate groups and individuals through a digital innovation process
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Geographic Information systems, Information systems or related areas.
- Relevant experience in information management, Geographic Information systems, Information systems or related areas is desirable. If candidate has only Bachelor’s degree, 2 years of relevant experience is required;
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially in MS Excel would be an asset;
- Proficiency in database development and management would be an asset;
- Knowledge of current GIS software (ArcGIS, Google Earth, QGIS) would be an asset;
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator would be an asset;
- Experience working in an international organization is desirable;
- Advanced knowledge of Excel features such as Power Query and Power Pivot is desirable;
- Web design skills and experience is desirable;
- Familiarity and experience with Python and R is desirable
- Proficiency in English (spoken and written) is required. Fluency in Thai and other official language of the UN will be desirable.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: