New York City
The Office of Financial Management (OFM), Bureau of Management Services, supports the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in the promotion of its sustainable human development agenda. It achieves this by developing and making fully operational a dynamic and harmonized integrated resource management framework based on comprehensive analysis that enhances UNDP’s financial and administrative performance, as well as facilitates UN reform and coherence. To these ends, the framework addresses strategically critical financial resource planning and management issues, including results based budgeting; the integration of the Programming Arrangements and the Institutional Budget within the context of the integrated budget from 2023 on wards; enhanced cost classification and cost recovery; capital budgeting; adherence to IPSAS; foreign exchange and investment activities; corporate reporting of organizational assets;performance management tools and initiatives; and support to UN harmonization.
Effective and efficient integrated resources management is enabled through a continuous and robust process comprising:
- Formulation and implementation of corporate financial and administrative strategies, policies and procedures;
- Formulation, alignment, documentation and implementation of UNDP’s funding frameworks, assuring their integrity, viability and alignment with the Strategic Plan;
- Provision of policy guidance, advisory services and operational support to strengthen client capacities and help them achieve results, seeking to build consensus within UNDP and with key stakeholders on critical budgetary related matters requiring Executive Board legislation;
- Administration of the organization’s internal control framework, overseeing and monitoring financial management of all global UNDP offices,including through formulation/implementation of resource planning, management and oversight tools and reports;
- Promoting clear accountability for financial transactions and producing financial statements, including financial reporting to donors and the UNDP Executive Board.
- Providing corporate reporting guidance to ensure that fixed assets are adequately recorded in all locations.
UNDP offices in every location has a finance function with treasury responsibilities. Under the direct supervision of the Treasury Specialist, the Treasury Associate provides analytical support, conducts compliance oversight, provides guidance, and problem solving for local cash management and banking operations
Respond to service requests from country officesrelating to cash management, local treasury functions, and banking arrangements:
- Complete country office cash management review for ad hoc and quarterly reviews for approval by the Manager.
- Follow-up with country office for implementation of the recommendations in a continuous cycle of improvement.
- Monitor and manage open cases to ensure timey resolution on country office zero-balance accounts (ZBA) payment inquiries, recall and returned/rejected payments.
Provide guidance through clear and effective communication to country offices in accordance with UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations, Internal Control Framework and cash management policies, practices and guidelines in POPP:
- Monitor country office compliance with ICF, cash management procedures and policies on an on-going basis including adherence to imprest levels.
- Complete year-end treasury certification review to identify exceptions and follow through on country office’s corrective actions.
- Review and monitor compliance by countries under assigned portfolio to authorized imprest level and manage any exceptions.
- Follow established procedures, monitor the UN Agency Service Clearing Account (SCA) in Quantum and inform UN Agency Counterparts when funding is required.
- Follow established procedures to record monthly UNJSPF transfers for retirees in countries where UNDP support payments to retired staff.
- Prepare the monthly UN Operational rate of exchange (UNORE) update for approval by the manager and process the approved data file for upload in quantum.
Provide back-up support and handling other office matters as directed by the supervisor:
- Provide back up for other Treasury Associates functions as and when required;
- Handle other projects on ad hoc basis as directed by the supervisor.
Core Competencies - UNDP Core Competencies can be found here.
- Achieve Results - LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively - LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously - LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility - LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination - LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner - LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion - LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Direction & Strategy - Business Acumen
- Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
Business Development - Knowledge Generation
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
Business Management - Communication
- Ability to communicate in a clear,concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
Business Management-Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
Business Management - Evaluation
- Ability to make an independent judgement based on set criteria and benchmarks
- Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
Finance - Treasury Cash Management
- Ability to contribute to the management of organization's cash and investment holdings with the ultimate goal of maximizing liquidity and mitigating risks.
- Understands the economic environment, interest rates and the importance of economic forecasting.
- Understands and can implement a treasury management strategy, including cash flow management, at the G7 level.
Finance - Due Diligence Management
- Ability to conduct a comprehensive appraisal of an organization or opportunity to be undertaken by a prospective investor or partner, especially to establish its assets and liabilities, as well as evaluate the potential opportunity and its related risks; knowledge of respective methodology and tools.
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Long-listed candidates will be required to undergo the UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test, including treasury module.
- Minimum of 7 years with High School Diploma or 4 years with Bachelor’s Degree of work experience in cash management/treasury or banking function;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Adobe PDF, etc.) i is required;
- Advanced knowledge of spread sheet and database packages and experience in handling web-based collaboration tools is required;
- Experience in ERP financial systems, (preferably Oracle) and knowledge of payables and cash management is desirable;
- Knowledge of IPSAS/IFRS is an advantage;
- Experience at country level in the UN system is desirable.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
- Knowledge of second UN language will be an added advantage, particularly Spanish or French.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: