Officer - Human Resources & Finance
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
Since 1963, Vietnam and IRRI have enjoyed a long, fruitful history of collaboration. In 1978, a memorandum of agreement between the Ministry of Agriculture and IRRI laid the foundation for partnership in the succeeding decades. Vietnam and IRRI have since worked hand in hand in areas of varietal improvement, conservation of rice
diversity, sustainable farming systems, and climate change. As a result, Vietnamese farmers are now able to maximize the full potential of the high yielding rice varieties being grown in the Mekong and Red River Deltas. From their initial areas of collaboration, Vietnam and IRRI have expanded their partnership to include rice production in upland ecosystems, environmental issues, and grain quality. IRRI’s current priorities for Vietnam are focused on climate change adaptation and mitigation. The IRRI Vietnam Office (IVO) operates in Vietnam as an International Organisation.
Under a hosting agreement between IRRI and ICRAF, starting from December 2013, the nationally recruited staff (NRS) of IVO have been hosted by ICRAF. As part of this hosting agreement, all IVO NRS have ICRAF contracts, and ICRAF is performing the related HR functions for these staff. This hosting service is expensive for IRRI, plus it creates a parrel system of HR policies and processes that makes it difficult for IVO to fully aligned with IRRI HR. IRRI HQ therefore agreed that we can end the hosting agreement with ICRAF and bring all these functions in-house within the next six months. Once this is completed, it will mean the management of our NRS will fully align with IRRI HR policies, processes, and procedures.
A new position will be required to take over all the administrative tasks currently done by ICRAF, particularly relating to human resources management and payroll. Under the general supervision of the Associate Manager –Administrative & Project Coordination at IVO, the new Administrative Officer – Human Resources & Finance will be responsible for these tasks. Further details are given below.
This position will be based in Hanoi, Vietnam and may only be filled by permanent citizens of Vietnam.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Take responsibility for the delivery of all tasks relating to the human resource management of NRS at IVO which are currently being done by ICRAF, through the hosting agreement with IRRI
- Take responsibility for the delivery of all tasks relating to the financial requirements of NRS at IVO, especially for payroll which is currently also being done by ICRAF
- Take responsibility for the delivery of a range of other financial tasks, which are currently being done by other staff at IVO, but would be more effectively and efficiently done as part of this new role
- Regular engagement will be required with the IVO team, relating to the delivery of the tasks in human resource management, finance, and administration described in the next section
- Regular engagement will also be required with various business units and staff at IRRI HQ, especially for human resource management and finance.
- Effective and efficient communication will be needed with a range of external partners and stakeholders, including government agencies, other CGIAR centers in Vietnam, suppliers, investors, and donors
- Support the recruitment of assigned positions for NRS and consultants at IVO, while always ensuring an open, transparent, fair, and competitive selection process
- Support the effective onboarding, including organizing and conducting induction programs, for new hires
- Establish and maintain a database of national consultants for IRRI to potentially utilize for future assignments
- Support the timely facilitation and completion of performance appraisals for all NRS at IVO
- Support the on-the-job training and capacity building activities for IVO NRS.
- Update and advise IVO staff on IRRI HR policies for the region
- Advise and guide IVO NRS on IRRI medical and accident insurance, and any other benefits of employment
- Support the NRS exit process according to IRRI policies.
- General trouble-shooting and problem solving for all aspects of human resources management for IVO NRS
- Manage the monthly payroll for IVO NRS staff and consultants
- Manage the processing and payment of NRS expenses claims, terms of employment entitlements, and any other benefits
- Financial Internal control
- Support the delivery of any other tasks relating to NRS finance, as required by IVO
- Organize travel and accommodation bookings for IVO work trips in Vietnam and overseas.
- Ensure the efficient processing of travel and other expenses claims according to IRRI policies
- Assist in the organization and smooth implementation of workshops, field days and other events
- Support the arrangements for international visitors to come to Vietnam for field work, meetings, and other purposes
- Conduct compensation benchmarking for IVO NRS and other data compilation studies
- Support the delivery of any other administrative tasks, as required by IVO
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Finance/Accounting, Management, or related subject
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience related to administration, human resource management, and finance in Vietnam
- Experience working collaboratively within an international development organization is desirable but not essential
- Human resources management (recruitment, onboarding, training & capacity building, performance evaluation, and policy)
- Reliable competences in all aspects of financial management, especially related to payroll and other staff functions
- All aspects of office administration
- Good communication skills in Vietnam and English language.
- Events management
- Good ICT skills
- Flexible, proactive and “can do” approach
- Ability to trouble-shoot and take on additional responsibilities at short notice
- Continuous development of self and others
- Knowledge of the operating environment in Vietnam, especially relating current
- regulations and laws for payroll, tax and other administrative requirements
- General knowledge about the operation of international development organisations in Vietnam
- Results orientation
- Critical thinking
- Creativity and innovation
- Knowledge of human resources management in the Vietnam context
- Knowledge of finance, payroll and tax requirements in Vietnam
- Knowledge and understanding of the international development community and partners in Vietnam
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances.
Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: