Scientist I - Soil Science
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The Sustainable Impact through Rice-based cropping Systems (SIRS) Department aims at developing and promoting climate-smart, nature-friendly rice-based farming systems and value chains. Within the platform, the research unit Climate-resilient farming systems deals specifically with cropping systems analysis, agronomy ‘at large’, mitigation of and adaptation to climate change, water management, soil science, nutrient management, pest ecology and management, and mechanization and post harvest. Within this unit, a research position is open in the field of ‘Soil science and nutrient management’ (see ‘purpose’ below), which will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of scientists operating in Vietnam with support from IRRI staff in the region and at its headquarters in the Philippines.
Rice is one of Vietnam's main crops, with an annual production of about 40 million tones. However, ineffective and inefficient fertilizer use is a major problem, leading to low nutrient-use efficiencies and a high carbon footprint. IRRI’s research activities in Vietnam address these constraints through the development of novel and integrated soil and nutrient management technologies and practices, such as precision crop establishment, site-specific nutrient management, and novel low-carbon and organic alternatives to chemical fertilizers to improve soil health and soil fertility and to reduce the emission of greenhouse gasses.
This position will be based in Vietnam and is open for international applications.
Roles and Responsibilities
As member of a project team, the incumbent will focus on the following key areas and responsibilities:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding and database on fertilizer management for in Vietnam (build on existing and new surveys, soil maps, knowledge and databases of country partners, etc.)
- Develop a technical package (reviewed and endorsed by the Department of Crop Production) on site-specific nutrient management for rice in Vietnam (build on existing knowledge and IRRI’s Rice Crop Manager and other e-extension tools/Apps), adapted for precision direct seeding and incorporating the use of slow-release and organic fertilizers);
- With (public and privates sector) partners in the country, develop and validate technologies of low-carbon and organic alternatives to chemical fertilizers through field trials at experimental stations and in farmers’ fields;
- Contribute to capacity building on – and scaling of - the above technologies and innovations
- Collaboration with public and private sector partners in Vietnam involved in nutrient management and in the development of novel (organic) fertilizers;
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and capacity development of various stakeholders (public and private sector, NGOs, civil society organizations);
- Communicate key messages and project progress with project donors and other primary stakeholders;
- Communicate research outputs in national and international fora
- Concrete project deliverables as per donor contract(s);
- A well-functioning research agenda on sustainable and low-carbon/low GHG soil and nutrient management practices in rice-based systems in Vietnam;
- An effective network of collaborators across relevant public and private sectors;
- Articles in peer-reviewed journals, proceedings, technical manuals, and training materials
- PhD in Soil Science, Nutrient Management, or related fields with at least 4+ years experience post-PhD
- Strong background in field oriented research and extension activities
- Have a mix of practical field skills, quantitative abilities; appreciation of interdisciplinary work, and a core commitment to achieving science-led agricultural development
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English
- Experience with rice; work experience in a developing country environment
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances.
Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: