Senior Associate Scientist - Trade Economics
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The Senior Associate Scientist under the Transformative Policies and Investments (TPI) Unit will be part of the socioeconomic modeling and policy analysis group. The successful applicant will contribute to building a strong economic modeling group to support decision-making on policies and investments relevant to rice trade and rice-based food systems transformation. S/he will be asked to conceptualize, plan and conduct substantial research on rice markets and policy and their drivers using partial equilibrium and/or general equilibrium economic modeling techniques at the global, regional and national scales. Additionally, S/he will conduct ex-ante impact assessment of planned policy changes and ex-post evaluation of past policies. The candidate will also contribute to the improvement and development of research tools, data collection, analysis and interpretation of results, scientific publication in international peer-reviewed journals and overall dissemination efforts through reports, policy briefs, and presentations in national/international workshops and conferences.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines and may only be filled by permanent citizens of the Philippines.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the conceptualization of research through rice trade modeling and other model-based analysis with the economic modeling team of the unit
- Contribute to the improvement of the IRRI Global Rice Model and build capacity in other global analytical tools
- Contribute to demand-led policy research leading to policy advice, and develop country-specific scenarios
- Manage implementation of research studies
- Consolidate, evaluate, verify and analyze data related to research studies.
- Interact with other researchers working on economic modeling for rice trade and domestic policy analysis both within IRRI, CGIAR and other relevant international and national institutions
- Assist the Economic Modeler in engaging with national partners and policymakers to identify topical research issues that need immediate economic modeling and analysis
- Coordinate closely with collaborators within the unit and seek guidance from supervisors leaders on the scope of the economic modeling work for policy analysis other specific research areas
- Manage other research activities such as services sourced out from other units, private research partners, collaborators, and/or consultants;
- Guide/coach scholars and interns;
- Act as a resource person in workshops within and outside IRRI and CGIAR, whenever necessary.
- Improve, manage and maintain the IRRI Global Rice Model;
- Progress and initiate own and collective scientific publications in international peer-reviewed journals and/web-based publications;
- Actively contribute to the content of project reports, scientific papers, data articles, posters and databases as appropriate;
- Present research studies at seminars and/or conferences (local/international).
- Minimum Master of Science degree or preferably PhD in Economics or Agricultural Economics with 5 years solid experience in economic modeling, econometrics, agricultural trade and policy analysis, research methodologies, and strong publication record
- Has minimum of two years of experience in economic modeling for policy analysis using partial or general equilibrium models
- Has excellent analytical skills using advanced quantitative techniques for economic modeling, econometric analysis, and writing scientific reports
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Has strong publication record
- Has experience with Research management
- Has good presentation skills
- Has solid experience in rice trade modeling based on partial equilibrium framework
- Has experience in applied research for policy analysis and policy advice at country level
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances.
Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: