Human Resources Officer - Advisory and Operations
- Noumea-based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC divisions and programmes. It consists of three key teams: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management so as to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the Human Resources Officer – Advisory and Operations will be responsible for providing timely, high quality and customer-focused advice, support and services to managers across a broad spectrum of HR needs. Under the guidance of the HR Advisor, they support HR operations, policy advice and HR projects implementation.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
HR Services & Advisory
- Provides orientation to new managers and ongoing training on HR systems and processes.
- Develop, promote and embed HR policies and practices.
- Escalates and/or refers on matters requiring risk management to their manager.
- Conduct Job Evaluations - in collaboration with the HR certified job evaluators, size and evaluate roles after ensuring the descriptions are coherent and duties are well encapsulated.
- Work to proactively manage: staff contracts, HR system data management, employee mobility/off-boarding, employee induction, employee benefits, payroll coordination (monthly), recruitment (temporary roles), role approvals and visas.
- Collation and organization of key audit documents for audit verification exercises.
- Advice managers on processes around internship, secondees and PHD, volunteer placements.
- Support HR Advisor with medical and life insurance processes.
- Ensure staff members are aware of their host country requirements and laws and comply with them at all times.
- Administer visa requirements.
- Recruitment: Manage less than 3 months temporary contracts.
- Assist the HR Advisor in the implementation of HR Projects.
- Provide administration for the project processes.
- Participate in the preparation of communication to managers, employees and HR.
Policy and Process Development
- Contributes to the updating and publishing of HR forms, templates, best practice process (SOPs) and guidelines to be accessible for managers.
- Assists with the development, review and implementation of HR policy, tools, and best practice guidelines.
- Identify and implement system and process improvements (including SOPs) to support the ongoing delivery of HR advice and support to managers.
- Contribute to a positive team culture that enables high performance of the HR team.
- Practice a continuous improvement approach by reviewing own work methods and maintaining a positive approach to solving problems/issues.
- Contribute to the efficient delivery of HR support, being flexible, adaptable and operating as a team, undertaking work in other areas where necessary to assist.
- Foster an environment where professional, quality service is provided to customers (both internal and external).
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in HR management or international business administration.
- At least 5 years of HR experience, with 3 years in a similar role ideally in an international setting and medium to large organisation structure in the Pacific region.
- Sound knowledge and experience across a range of HR Practices and Policies.
- Good level of computer literacy, confident using the Microsoft Office suite and able to learn new applications when required.
- A high level of organisational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize work.
- Excellent judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for effective communication both in French and in English.
- Ability to communicate and be credible with a wide range of people.
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Strong relationship skills and to relate well and build trust and confidence with people at all levels.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This vacant position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Remuneration – the Human Resources Officer – Advisory and Operations is a band 8 position in SPC’s 2023 salary scale, with a starting salary range of SDR (special drawing rights) 2,912-3,544 per month, which converts to approximately XPF 441,094-536,787 (USD 3,902-4,748; EUR 3,696-4,498). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale is based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8 % of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Closing date: 3 December 2023 – 11:00 pm (Noumea time)
Job Reference: CR000130
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening questions (maximum of 2.000 characters per question):
- Can you provide an example of a time when you had to manage multiple HR processes simultaneously? How did you prioritize and ensure each task was completed accurately and on time?
- Describe a situation where you had to implement a new HR policy or process. Please also share any lesson learnt.
- Describe a time when you had to handle a sensitive HR issue. How did you approach the situation and what was the outcome?
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: