UNEP Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) Senior Content Writer
Result of Service
Through these services the Initiative will be able to engage a broad range of financial institutions, including commercial banks, asset managers, insurers, and multi-lateral development banks and agencies in implementing global finance sector principles to catalyze integration of sustainability into financial market practice. The frameworks UNEP FI is supporting implementation include Principles for Responsible Banking (PRB) now committed to by more than 300 banks collectively holding USD 89 trillion in assets, or almost half of the global banking sector, and the Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI), established in 2012 by UNEP FI and today applied by one-quarter of the world’s insurers (33% of world premium).
The services will also help promote sustainability into all aspects of the financial sector’s operations and services. Finally, the services will help the Initiative to broaden its outreach both within UNEP / UN and external to banks, insurers and investors, governments, regulators, private sector and multi-stakeholders, including supporting institutions.
6 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The overall objective of the UNEP’s Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive. It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities.
The United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) is the strategic partnership between the United Nations and over 500 banks, insurers and investors. For over 30 years UNEP FI has been shaping and driving the international sustainable finance agenda, setting global standards and growing a global network of leading financial institutions. Through its work-streams and regional activities, peer learning, methodology development, training and research, UNEP FI promotes sustainable finance and helps the financial industry align with and contribute to the Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals.
UNEP FI needs a consultant to assist with their communications requirements specifically writing, copywriting and editing across UNEP FI content, communications channels and target audiences but currently does not have enough relevant professional resources internally.
Specific tasks and responsibilities:
The consultant will deliver the following project/tasks for UNEP FI’s communications work:
• Develop compelling content for UNEP FI’s communication channels including but not limited to UNEP FI website, social media and member communications such as articles, case studies, web copy etc.
• Develop an annual editorial plan for UNEP FI’s comms channels
• Develop content for other UN channels such as UNEP website, social media and other UN channels and other partner’s channels.
• Develop content to support media outreach in particular compelling OpEds and press releases and articles for external channels and publications
• Assist with developing UNEP FI’s key messages, value proposition and corporate communications such as content for corporate powerpoint and corporate messaging.
• Write UNEP FI reports such as UNEP FI Annual Report, Leadership Council paper, other papers for members or where applicable.
• Write and provide editing support for short reports, brochures, factsheets and case studies, provide editorial guidance for a small number of long form reports.
• Other writing or editing tasks as required.
Outputs and Deliverables:
• Clear and compelling content aimed at financial institutions, policymakers and wider finance industry
• Input into UNEP FI’s communications strategies and messaging, support for UNEP FI comms team with writing and editing work
• Enhanced communications with members and other stakeholders via improved content
The consultant will report to UNEP FI, Programme Management Officer and working in close coordination with UNEP FI’s Communications Coordinator. Overall responsibility rests with the Head of UNEP FI.
Education: Master’s degree in communications, marketing, PR, media, international relations, business, public relations or a related field. A First degree could be taken in lieu of advanced degree provided the selected candidate has 7 years of relevant experience.
Professional Experience: At least five (5) working experience in communications, PR, or marketing. Up-to-date proficiency with communications best practices. Experience working with or within the finance industry highly desired.
Languages: English is the working language of UNEP FI. Knowledge of other United Nations languages is an asset.
Skills & Knowledge: Excellent oral and written communications skills in English, and strong interpersonal skills; ability to write and edit content suitable for multiple channels including but not limited to web, social media, print ability to cope with juggling multiple tasks across diverse projects in an organized and timely manner; attention to detail. Good knowledge of the finance industry and financial institutions is desirable, as well as knowledge of the global financial media landscape, sustainable finance media or experience working with other global media. Experience of writing and editing copy for reports, articles, press releases, OpEds, social media, speeches, brochures etc. The consultant should have the ability to establish and maintain good working relations in a multicultural and geographically dispersed team working across functions.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: