International Corporate Campaigner
Position: International Corporate Campaigner
We, Beyond Fossil Fuels (BFF), are an alliance of passionate civil society groups committed to transforming the European energy sector. We strive for a just transition to a fossil-free, fully renewables-based energy system that protects people, nature, and our planet. As an independent campaign, we are driven by a fierce dedication to ending our reliance on coal by 2030 and fossil gas by 2035 with a focus on the power sector. With your help, we can create a brighter, cleaner, and more equitable future for all. This campaign is supported by a BFF secretariat, consisting of 25 people and spread across Europe.
We’re excited to introduce a new role. This position will strive to shift corporations away from coal and gas towards a renewable-based energy supply. The campaigner will be focusing on European corporations that are not from the energy sector and whose actions can have a global impact, especially in Asia. The international corporate campaigner will be part of our corporate team within the BFF secretariat which is in charge of running a multi-sector campaign on non-energy companies, utilities and private financial institutions. Join us in the pursuit of a just energy transition!
Don’t feel like you meet all the criteria? Let us tell you a secret: there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. But let us tell you, if you are passionate about the difference civil society can make to drive change in the corporate sector, and are an experienced Civil Society Organisation (CSO) campaign strategist, we want to hear from you.
- Position: International corporate campaigner
- Reporting to: Program lead, Corporate energy transition campaign
- Preferable start date: February 2024
- Employment type: permanent, staff or consultant
- Location: Remote working from a European location, or from our office in Berlin
Please note that we do not have the resources to relocate candidates to Europe from outside the continent.
As the international corporate campaigner, you will be responsible for:
- Designing and executing, in close collaboration with partners from the BFF coalition and international CSOs from Asia and elsewhere, a global corporate campaign that targets non-energy corporations;
- Planning, coordinating and executing campaign pushes and moments;
- Establishing and coordinating appropriate working structures together with partners from Europe and elsewhere to implement BFF’s global corporate strategy;
- Together with CSOs from other regions, helping to convene global corporate strategy discussions focused on renewable energy;
- Activating and supporting partners, particularly at the national level, during the development and implementation of the strategy;
- Being a responsive European contact for allies from Asia and other regions, and sensitive to difficult working conditions in regions with limited space for civil society;
- Undertaking in-house research or commissioning research relevant to the corporate campaign;
- Identifying opportunities for cooperation with other BFF campaign areas of work that will help with the corporate strategy, and vice versa;
- Contributing to BFF secretariat internal planning and reporting.
Required skills & experience
- You have at least five years of work experience in energy/climate/environment issues or in relevant corporate positions (such as public relations, corporate ESG/strategy, legal affairs, etc.);
- You have at least three years of experience in developing campaign strategies for civil society organisations and running campaigns;
- You have a comprehensive understanding of the energy transition, including its political and economic context in Europe;
- You have knowledge of the European energy, corporate, and financial sectors, as well as their potential leverage over the fossil fuel industry;
- You possess strong interpersonal skills, are competent at facilitating and supporting the work of others, and have the ability to build common cause and reach agreements among multi-organisational teams;
- You possess excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and concisely;
- You are highly organised and capable of balancing multiple priorities;
- You are confident working remotely with a broad range of people from different countries, cultures, and backgrounds;
- You are passionate about promoting a healthy, environmentally friendly, and fair society;
- You have excellent spoken and written English.
Desirable skills & experience
- A track record of successful campaigning in relation to the private sector.
- Experience with working in Asia;
- Experience of working in environments with limited space for civil society;
- You speak other languages.
How we support our team
- We offer competitive compensation packages tailored to each region.
- Flexible work policy: We empower our team to work when and where they are most productive with our flexible work policy.
- Training budget: We have a dedicated training budget for each team member.
- Team building: We prioritise building connections with an annual team retreat.
- Feedback: We foster a culture of growth with regular performance reviews and feedback.
- Commuting and home working: We make work easier by covering commuting costs in Berlin and providing support for remote work in other European locations.
We believe that creating a welcoming and inclusive environment is critical to our success, and we welcome team members from all backgrounds. At Beyond Fossil Fuels, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential components of our success, and we are dedicated to building a culture that reflects these values.
If this opportunity sounds exciting to you, please apply via our online application form with a short CV and a one-page cover letter in English until December 11th 2024!
Preferable start date: February 2024.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: