Shelter and Settlements Team Leader
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs working in 40 countries worldwide, is currently looking for a highly qualified Shelter Team Leader (Engineer) for Kharkiv Office
DRC has been operating in Ukraine for more than 10 years with emergency and durable solution interventions for assisting IDPs, returnees, Host communities, and conflict-affected populations. With the outbreak of the conflict in February 2022, DRC has shifted its programming to emergency response to meet the urgent needs of conflict-affected population in the country. Current DRC programming is focusing on protection activities such as protection monitoring, information dissemination, Individual protection assistance, and legal aid. DRC is also planning to add to the ongoing emergency protection response activities such as GBV prevention and response, Psychosocial support (PSS), and community-based protection.
In addition to protection programming, DRC is currently implementing Multipurpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), NFI and Food distributions, Shelter & WASH interventions, and Economic Recovery, Humanitarian Demining and Explosive Ordnance Risk Education. The organization counts with 7 offices in the country.
The position will include the management of approximately 4-8 national staff.
Overall purpose of the role
Supervise members in the Shelter team
• Deliver technical support and guidance to team
• Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the Shelter activities being implemented by DRC
• Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities
Shelter Sector responsibilities:
- Provide Technical lead on the definition and implementation of all shelter activities
- Supervise members in the Shelter team
- Ensure quality of assessments, procurement documents and scope of work related to shelter activities
- Work with other sector leads in all cross-cutting issues: assessments, protection, coordination
- Lead and manage the team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the sector/support activities
- Follow and ensure the quality of the team’s daily activities and timely execution of all fieldwork as well as field teams
- Reporting to Base Manager and Country Shelter Coordinator
- Examine various local construction materials/methods and determine the best to be used
- Develop and initiate new ideas to maximize assistance to beneficiaries
- Liaise with local Governmental bodies in charge of housing and infrastructure activities in the area of operation
Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Provide technical support and inputs on all shelter activities
- Liaise with selected construction companies to coordinate the rehabilitation activities and ensuring that DRC quality standards are met
Coordination and representation
• Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
• Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
• Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
• Develop project tools, plans, and budgets for funding
• Project implementation, reporting and evaluation
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Ensure that all the assistance related documentation is prepared in compliance with the Ukrainian legislation and DRC requirements
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- nitiate procurements and ensure their execution
As Team Leader the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Accountable for people management of employees, usually working in the same area of work
• Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up Manager are implemented on time
• Hiring and termination of employees and conducting performance appraisals (closely overseen by the next-level manager)
Roles reporting to this position: Shelter staff in designated area
Reports to: Shelter and Settlement Manager
Required experience and competencies
- Minimum 3 years of management experience at a mid to senior level, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian response for an international NGO, UN agency, relevant ministry, or local authority.
- Preferably 2 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience, as an engineer in charge of construction projects or similar
- Full profesional proficiency in English
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Skills in GIS software and AutoCAD are an asset
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Degree in Civil Engineering or another relevant field
- Contract length: 10 months upon seccesful completion of the three-month period probation
- Designation of Duty Stations: Kharkiv
- Start date: As son as possible
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for national staff.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 31st January 2024
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: