Radionuclide Methods Expert (P-4)
|International Data Centre Division
|Software Applications Section
|Scientific Methods Unit
|Type of Appointment:
|Date of Issuance:
|15 November 2023
|Deadline for Applications:
|As soon as possible
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Scientific Methods Unit, under the Software Applications Section of the International Data Centre Division.
Under the supervision of the Head of Scientific Methods Unit, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the execution of analyst testing of software to produce standard radionuclide products and the implementation of software corrections and enhancements identified after testing;
- Guides the development and update of documentation of software and algorithms used to produce standard radionuclide products;
- Facilitates the efforts to enhance the calibration of radionuclide sensors, including corrections for background and ‘memory’ effects;
- Lead the scientific method enhancements for standard radionuclide products, including liaison with international colleagues from states signatories;
- Serve as a project manager, plan and oversee efficient implementation of radionuclide software projects, and communicate requirements to team members and other stakeholders (which may include contractors); work closely with the procurement team and provide briefings on project status;
- Provide guidance and training to trainees assigned to the Section;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree in nuclear physics, nuclear engineering, or a related field;
Work Experience and Qualifications
At least seven (7) years relevant working experience with gamma ray spectroscopy. Particular expertise working in nuclear explosion monitoring, and experience with more than one data type is desirable.
Relevant experience in project management and coordination of contractor work is required, including Agile software development.
Deep scientific knowledge of commonly used methods for determining characteristics of radionuclide events of interest (e.g. event zero time, event characterization, possible source region, data fusion, etc.) using particulate and noble gas radionuclide data is required.
Software skills in Unix, SQL, C++, Python are highly desirable.
- Capacity to work on a variety of projects simultaneously, adjusting to priorities and achieving results with agreed objectives and deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential.
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages is desirable (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish).
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Team work - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm).
Duration of contract:
The consultancy assignment is limited to a period of 130 working days (6 months).
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: