Central Asia: Programme Volunteer – Bishkek, Dushanbe or Tashkent
Bishkek | Dushanbe | Tashkent
Volunteering | 6 months | ASAP
For the past 30 years, international NGO Acted has been going the last mile to save lives. Currently, Acted supports 20 million people across 43 countries to meet their needs in hard-to-reach areas – and pursues a triple mandate as a humanitarian, environmental and development aid actor. Acted relies on an in-depth knowledge of local territories and contexts to develop and implement relevant long-term actions, with a wide range of local and international partners, building together a “3ZERO” world: Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, Zero Poverty
Acted Central Asia
Acted is committed to the promotion of a 3Zero world of Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty. Acted has been active in Central Asia (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) since the mid-1990s, helping to address the region’s main challenges and fostering opportunities for sustainable and inclusive development, especially in rural and remote communities. This includes a special focus on Natural Resource Management (NRM) in the context of climate change as well fostering regional cooperation.
STREAM is guided by the principles of do no harm and conflict and gender sensitivity and follows a participatory and inclusive development approach. With support from multiple donors and drawing on Acted’s global flagship approaches (AGORA, GOCA and THRIVE), STREAM is building a strong evidence base to work toward the following overall objective (OO) and specific objectives (SO):
• To contribute to improving the sustainable use of natural water and land resources across all riparian communities (OO1)
• Water efficiency at the local level is improved and competition over resources reduced (SO1)
• Dialogue and cooperation between local authorities and experts at the regional level will be enhanced through mutual trust and transboundary information, platforms and dispute resolution processes (SO2).
In addition, the anticipated results (R) are as follows:
• An in-depth, data driven understanding of resource availability and climate stress is developed and used for regional dialogue (R1)
• Water and other resources’ efficiency is improved by empowering civil society and local authorities to lead evidence based NRM processes (R2)
• Dialogue and cooperation at the community and government level is strengthened by improving operating infrastructure and showcasing results (R3)
You will be in charge of
Acted and its sister organisation, IMPACT Initiatives, launched STREAM, a regional programme that works with communities and stakeholders in all three countries that share the Fergana Valley (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan), to improve the sustainable use of water and land resources in riparian communities in the context of climate change.
Acted is looking for committed and highly motivated recent graduates who can contribute to the programme and would like to grow and build a career as a development professional within the organisation.
In close collaboration with the respective Programme team as well as the Project Development (PD) team at field level and Grant Management Unit (GMU) at HQ level, the Programme Intern provides support to the core functions of the Programme, notably in terms of a) programme implementation and research; b) grant management; and c) external communication and visibility.
- Programme implementation and research
- Grant management
- External communications and visibility
- Undertake any other tasks as required by the programme team and regional coordination.
Expected skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s level degree in a relevant field;
- Thematic or geographically relevant experience via previous internships or academic studies;
- Familiarity (work or travel) in Central Asia or CIS countries, will be a distinct advantage;
- Understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods and tools;
- Excellent spoken and written English;
- Knowledge of Russian, Kyrgyz, Tajik or Uzbek will be an advantage.
- 300 USD per month living allowance
- Coverage of all accommodation, guesthouse, food, and travel costs, a luggage allowance of 50 kg
- The provision of medical, repatriation, and life insurance.
- One week pre-departure training in Acted HQ, including a 4-days in situ security training
- Psychological assistance
Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), including the reference: PROGV/CA
Please note that Acted will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: