Value Chain Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
For more than four decades, FAO has been working with the Government of the Philippines, civil society, community-based organizations and the private sector to address challenges in the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sector. Joint efforts have included increasing sustainability in agricultural production, promoting value-adding practices, improving post-harvest management, enhancing productivity and increasing the resilience of agriculture-based livelihoods to natural disasters, climatic hazards and armed conflict.
FAO is implementing a UN Joint Programme on Farmers-Fisherfolks’ Advancement and Integration to Resilient Value Chains in BARMM (FAIR-VALUE). The project, funded by European Union, is implemented jointly with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and the International Trade Centre (ITC).
The Project aims to improve the local agricultural/sea-aqua product production in quality, diversity, consolidation and its response to the needs of the market, with a primary focus on agri-fishery communities and smallholder clusters in the island provinces of Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi (BaSulTa). Potential commodities to be supported by the project are rubber, coffee and seaweed. Output 1.1. refers to the mapping and analysis of these value chains in the targeted area.
The Value Chain Specialist will report to the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme) and work in close collaboration with the Project Coordinator.
The Value Chain Specialist will support the conduct of mapping and analysis of the three value chain in the project sites, develop activity design and training modules, as well as conduct of the capacity building activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Value Chain Specialist will undertake the following duties\:
• In consultation with the key stakeholders, support the conduct of mapping and analysis with IOM and ITC, together with the Project Coordinator and technical specialists (farming systems, fisheries, training and development) of the three value chains in the selected sites (Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-tawi). In order to achieve this, the specialist will\:
a. Assist in the development of the overall methodological approach for the value chain assessment, incorporating FAO’s methodology and best practices.
b. Undertake a brief literature review on the selected value chains, including collecting and reviewing relevant value chain studies done in Mindanao/Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao as a reference for conducting value chain analysis of priority commodities to be supported by the project.
c. Undertake field data collection and gather relevant secondary information available (e.g. markets, types/varieties, agricultural statistics, socio-economic information etc.)
d. Assist in identifying key stakeholders/actors and the linkages among them; and assist in engaging with value chain actors/stakeholders to gather insights.
e. Prepare a SWOT analysis for the selected value chain.
f. Based on the comprehensive value chain analyses conducted, prepare value chain reports including strategic recommendations for upgrading the value chains.
• Provide support in developing plans for beneficiaries to ensure and strengthen fair, institutional linkages between production clusters and markets.
• Prepare presentation materials for and attend various in-person meetings related to the assignment.
• Prepare and submit an end-of-assignment report according to FAO's guidelines.
• Perform other tasks that may be assigned by the FAO Representative and/or the Project Coordinator.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• The candidate must have an Advanced University Degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Rural Development or other related fields.
• At least eight (8) years professional and subject matter specialization in the implementation of projects on agribusiness, agro-based livelihoods and value chain development at the field level.
• A national of Philippines.
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and Filipino.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• General knowledge and skills in the use of standard office software, such as MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Tagalog.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help or have queries, please contact\: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website\: http\://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help or have queries, please create a one-time registration with FAO’s client support team for further assistance\: https\://fao.service-now.com/csp
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: