Marketing Internship (UNDP Shop)
Remote - Based | New York City
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) is responsible for positioning UNDP as the world’s leading global development network, promoting its global authority and thought leadership on sustainable development and the interconnected issues of poverty, inequality, and climate change. BERA leads and supports UNDP in building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances essential to achieving its mission.
Creating strong political and financial backing for UNDP by providing partners and supporters with a clear understanding of what UNDP does and how our mission, capabilities and flagship services relate to them. BERA leads UNDP’s work on innovative and diversified partnerships and ways of financing the Decade of Action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It is also responsible for global campaigns on critical development issues, which aim to inform government policies and build partnerships around high-impact solutions. BERA coordinates and sets corporate standards across the functions of partnerships, marketing and communications within UNDP and leads on internal communications.
BERA is positioned around three service lines; Public Partnership; Advocacy, Marketing and Communications; and Private and Finance Partners, all working in close collaboration and coordination under the guidance of the Directorate and with the support of the Management Support Unit and Strategic Analysis and Engagement team.
BERA has a robust network of Representation Offices (Brussels, Copenhagen, Geneva, Tokyo and Washington D.C.) and Regional Teams in five hubs (Africa, Arab States, Asia Pacific, Europe and CIS, and Latin American and the Caribbean) co-led with Regional Bureaux, all of which play a critical role in audience centric communications and management and strengthening of relationships with Public and Private Partners to help build a strong brand for UNDP within the local ecosystem.
Within BERA, the Advocacy, Marketing and Communications Group (AMCG) leads and manages external communications through strategy, media, digital communications, marketing, branding and global storytelling. The Brand and Marketing Team in AMCG manages UNDP’s brand, and creates marketing products and resources to promote UNDP and the SDGs, ensuring that messages resonate and gather support from audiences that span from government decision-makers to the general public. It manages the Marketing Services Hub which operates as UNDP’s in-house agency, and the online UNDP Shop , a fast-growing initiative that empowers people around the world to promote the SDGs through branded products. The UNDP Shop was launched in April 2017 as a pilot with the aim of creating a line of useful products that can help UNDP improve its image and create awareness for the 2030 Agenda and the important work UNDP is doing to help countries reach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It is a way for the wider public to connect and support UNDP’s work worldwide, as well as an excellent marketing opportunity to reach a wider audience. UNDP Shop current strategy comprehends individual orders by general audience (B2C), and a business to business (B2B) approach targeting Companies, other UN agencies, and UNDP offices around the world.
Reporting to the Market Intelligence Analyst, and under the creative supervision of the Brand & Marketing Creative Lead, the Marketing Intern will work on UNDP Shop marketing strategy, content creation and strategy implementation. The selected candidate will also support Brand and Marketing team on key market intelligence and branding initiatives for UNDP, collaborating with team members across the AMCG.
Duties and Responsibilities
The interested candidate will:
- Contribute to marketing strategy and implementation;
- Propose and create marketing campaigns for UNDP Shop;
- Contribute to content creation for UNDP Shop (e.g. writing promotional emails, new product descriptions, assist with photos; etc.)
- Support UNDP Brand and Marketing Team on key market intelligence research;
- Provide overall marketing support to the Brand and Marketing team.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office 365 suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word…)
- Applied understanding of basic marketing principles;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task;
- Must be able to work in a multicultural environment and be aware of political sensitivities
Required Skills and Experience
Academic Qualifications :
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Advertising, Business or similar field
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
Experience (academic and personal projects will be considered):
- Proven experience working in marketing / advertising campaign planning and execution;
- Practical experience on market research / analysis;
- Experience on content development (copywriting, photography, …) is a plus;
- Online marketing experience is a plus;
- Working knowledge of brand principles and marketing is a plus.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of French or Spanish an asset
- Must be available preferably full-time or at least three (3) days a week during NY Eastern standard time zone working hours.
The application should contain:
- Brief Cover Letter (in English) stating interest in and qualifications for the post;
- Current and complete CV in English
If available, candidates can also share a link to their portfolio including any personal, professional and/or academic projects they executed which are relevant for the position
IMPORTANT: Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.
Upon evaluation/review of the candidates, the candidate who is selected must submit the following documents:
- Letter from his/her university confirming current enrollment and graduation date;
- Copy of his/her most recent school transcript;
- Copy of passport;
- Completed UNDP internship application form;
- Signed UNDP Internship Agreement (including Remote Supplementary if applicable)
- Medical Certificate of Good Health;
- Proof of medical insurance;
- A copy of US Visa if the intern is not a US Citizen (only if candidate is currently based in the US and office-based).
- UNDP will not pay for the internship but will provide a monthly stipend in accordance with the provisions of the UNDP Internship policy. All other expenses connected with it will be borne by the intern or sponsoring Government or institution;
- Where an intern is financially supported by an institution, government or third party, UNDP will pay the intern the difference, if any, between the external financial support provided and the applicable UNDP stipend;
- Except for the stipend, all other expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring government or institutions;
- Interns are responsible for securing adequate medical insurance for the duration of their internship with UNDP and must provide a medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship;
- There is no expectation of employment following the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed (if required)
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: