Communication and Community Outreach Officer
Communication and Community Outreach Officer - Kyiv, Ukraine (National)
In Ukraine, Geneva call is launching a multiyear program to answer to the current situation aiming in the short term to build knowledge among all parties involved in the conflict; and over the middle-long term to leverage policy development and enforcement of norms related to the protection of civilians and public infrastructure and negotiating humanitarian access. Overall, Geneva Call aims to develop humanitarian engagement with armed parties and communities as a means to create space for dialogue on the protection of civilians. Geneva Call works in the whole territory of Ukraine.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
RoleOverall activities As a Communication and Community Outreach Officer, you will play a supportive role in the implementation of Geneva Call's Communications and Advocacy strategy in Ukraine, aligning with the organization's mission to enhance the protection of the civilian population. You will assist in the planning and execution of both internal and external communication activities related to program implementation and reporting, as well as contributing to advancing Geneva Call's overall mission. This will involve collaborating with team members, helping to manage social media platforms, creating engaging content, and participating in community outreach initiatives to effectively communicate and promote the organization's efforts and impact in Ukraine.
?Assist in strategic initiatives and contribute to identifying communication priorities with a focus on how they can be promoted through social media channels.
- Collaborate closely with field teams to gather high-quality, engaging content that can be shared on social media platforms. This includes collecting stories, photos, videos, and updates from on-ground activities, ensuring the content is authentic and aligns with Geneva Call’s communication objectives.
- Support in the creation of communication materials, including developing and disseminating content across various platforms, with a focus on social media engagement.
- Participate in communication and outreach planning and assist in designing and executing outreach activities, particularly those involving social media, to increase awareness of Geneva Call’s mission.
- Implement social media strategies, including actively managing and updating Geneva Call Ukraine’s social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), creating engaging content and monitoring its impact.
- Align social media content with organizational goals and ensure that social media posts are culturally sensitive and align with Geneva Call’s global priorities.
- Ensure quality of social media content, including monitoring and maintaining the consistency and quality of content posted on social media, adhering to Geneva Call guidelines.
- Engage with online communities and interact with followers, advocacy partners, and civil society organizations on social media to disseminate important information and campaigns.
- Support social media campaigns, including helping in the promotion and circulation of content related to major initiatives and campaigns on social media platforms.
- Assist in content development, including contributing to creating engaging social media posts, news updates, and other communication materials.
- Help organize online/offline events and campaigns and aid in the planning and execution of online/offline events and campaigns for advocacy purposes.
- Assist in drafting basic reports and content for social media that reflects the activities and achievements of the mission.
- Engage with local media sources to promote and advocate Geneva Call’s mission, enrich loyal local and international media contacts, and ensure additional media coverage for the communication campaigns.
- Any other tasks related to Communications and Community Outreach requested by the Communications and Community Outreach Coordinator and/or Country Director.
Education and experience
Degree in Communications, media, humanitarian affairs, political or social science, or another related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of equivalent work experience in an international organisation in the field of social media management. Experience in a humanitarian organization will be a plus.
- Knowledge of the local context.
- Demonstrable knowledge of humanitarian architecture, principles, and standards.
- Proficient with MS Office, graphic design software like Canva and Adobe InDesign, social media platforms, and animation and photo/video editing software.
- Knowledge of the layout and quality control process for various publications, as well as printing requirements.
- Advanced writing, analytical, and communication skills.
- Ability to design and implement impactful public campaigns.
- Ability to design and produce communication and public outreach materials.
- Fluency in Ukrainian and English, both written and spoken, is required.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding and respect for organizational principles and confidentiality.
- Strong logical and organizational skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Resourcefulness and autonomy.
- High level of integrity and accountability.
- Exemplary representation of Geneva Call's values and ethics.
- Team-oriented with the ability to facilitate teamwork.
- Ability to work under pressure, travel in conflict-affected areas, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Accuracy and reliability, with the ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
Performance managementThe employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the GC Performance Management p. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The individual Work- and Professional Development Plan
- The Competency Framework
Conflict of interestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Communication and Community Outreach Officer
- Type of Contract: Fixed term contract (National position)
- Activity rate: 100%, full-time position
- Work place: Kyiv, Ukraine (subject to change according to context)
- Preferred start date: as soon as possible
No later than 4 December 2023.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.