Protection Assistant (Child Protection)
Under the overall supervision of Protection Coordinator and the direct supervision and guidance of the Protection Officer - and in close coordination with the respective units and partners in Camp As Saliyah – the incumbent will implement Protection programmatic response in line with internal policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) guidelines, principles and tools on Protection, including, Gender-based Violence (GBV) and Child Protection in Humanitarian Action. In particular, they will:
- Assist with assessments on the protection needs of the affected population.
- Provide quality case management services, including, coordination with service providers, assist to integrate a one-off cash or in-kind assistance for the affected population’s immediate needs and provide referrals and conduct follow-ups.
- Monitor the adherence to data protection principles and information sharing protocols when maintaining client databases and records, including, monitoring that protection tools are filled with quality data that is sufficiently detailed and accurate.
- Support coordination and delivery of other protection interventions and activities, such as, management of women and girl friendly spaces (WGFS), Child Friendly Spaces (CFS), community-based protection et al.
- Assist in the development of creative engagement approaches for affected populations including youth, help providing resilience building opportunities to foster social and leadership development.
- Assist with planning and organizing protection assessment activities (including FGDs, household surveys and key informant interviews) and community interventions.
- Retrieve, compile, summarize, analyse, and present information/data on specific project topics, including regular update of unit and project trackers.
- Support IOM sectors and units on protection mainstreaming and GBV risk mitigation efforts, including through capacity building.
- Draft status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest remedial actions.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records; organize meetings, workshops and training sessions.
- Participate in meetings and conferences; assist in coordinating implementation activities with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, donors and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
- Assist in monitoring work of implementing partners and report non-compliances to the supervisor.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma with five years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology or other related fields from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience with case management for at-risk individuals in an emergency response.
- Experience in coordinating and managing needs of GBV survivors and those at-risk of GBV and/or Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASCs) is a distinct advantage.
- Strong interpersonal, counselling and communication skills.
- Strong skills in community outreach and building relations with key community leaders and groups
- Sound ability to communicate practical knowledge on actions to address Protection and GBV issues at the operational level.
- Demonstrated analytical, writing and reporting skills.
- Solid computer skills (MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Can locate and apply key Inter-Agency Protection Resources.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
- Basic Knowledge of Dari, Pashto, or Arabic (oral and written) is a distinct advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- This post is subject to local recruitment. Only those holding a valid residence and work permit for the country where this position is based will be eligible for consideration.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. Vaccination against COVID-19 will be required for IOM personnel who are hired or otherwise engaged by IOM. As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, candidates will be requested to provide evidence of full vaccination.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM online recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: