Services for Older Refugees (SOR) Intern (Unpaid)
TITLE: Services for Older Refugees (SOR) Intern
LOCATION: Elizabeth, NJ
START DATE: June 2024
DURATION: 3 months
POSITION REPORTS TO: Services for Older Refugees Caseworker
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in more than 40 countries and over 20 U.S. cities, the IRC provides resettlement, education and empowerment support to refugees and displaced people.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Services for Older Refugees (SOR) Intern will work under the supervision of the SOR Caseworker to provide trauma-informed services to elder refugees, asylees and other humanitarian entrants to support their integration and independence. The Services for Older Refugees program is part of IRC’s Refugee Support Services and offers case
management support to the elder refugee population aged 60 years and older. This work will include direct engagement with clients to assess their situations and develop action plans to meet their needs. The Intern will also support the Caseworker to connect the client to services both within the IRC and externally in accordance with client eligibility and program requirements. This internship is unpaid and requires a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week.
- Assist the SOR Caseworker to conduct new client intakes to assess needs and develop and implement self-sufficiency action plans over agreed timeframes with each client.
- Assist with individualized case management support to each client through direct services, referrals, and advocacy.
- Conduct outreach calls to clients to monitor progress, understand challenges and ensure available resources are utilized.
- Assist with scheduling client appointments.
- Document all client interactions in internal database and tracking tools in accordance with program requirements.
- Assist with interpretation for the SOR Caseworker and other members of the Refugee Support Services (RSS) team, as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Gain hands-on experience and on-the-job training to provide direct services to a large
and diverse elder client caseload.
- Gain experience working in an office environment both virtually and in-person and
participate in IRC trainings or other learning and development opportunities.
- Learn about the IRC’s US Program and specifically the case management services offered to elder newcomers.