Snr Ops Oversight Officer
Senior Operations Oversight Officer
The incumbent will advise the Representative/ Deputy Representative and senior management on the financial, administrative and resource ¿state of Health¿ of the Operation. The incumbent will liaise and keep close contacts with UN Agencies and banking community for updated information on new strategies affecting our operations.
- UNHCR systems of financial, administrative and resource management have integrity at the country level.
- Provide independent in-depth analysis of the internal controls in the relevant operations. The analyses will be used to ensure that proper internal control structures are instituted, reviewed and updated to keep them effective.
- Perform ongoing general and specific verifications to assess the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls, compliance with established rules, regulations, policies and procedures and progress in implementing the recommendations of the various oversight bodies, i.e. Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) and the UN Board of Auditors.
- Contribute to the formulation of country risk management strategy, specifically, to identify and then propose actions for mitigating management, operational and financial risks.
- Advise management and perform oversight functions, as appropriate and in the best interest of the operation.
- Prepare, in consultation with the Representative, a quarterly work plan outlining the intended areas of focus.
- Provide guidance and advice to management of relevant operations in the field, and issue, as a guide, quarterly reports against the work plan.
- Provide ad hoc or specific report as be requested by the Representative for a general or thematic (internal controls, risk management and oversight) as requested.
- Perform any other relevant duty as required.
- Enforce country-level compliance with UNHCR¿s financial rules.
- In coordination with the headquarters, initiate sanctions for non-compliance at the country-level to UN/UNHCR¿s financial rules and procedures.
- In coordination with headquarters, set and enforce local deadlines for responding to audit reports.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- An advanced university degree in the field of accounting, management, economics, or auditing.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional job experience, in the field of finance and/or audit.
- In-depth knowledge of UNHCR Financial Rules, and knowledge of UN Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Knowledge of project finance control.
- Command of UNHCR¿s financial management information system (MSRP) and standard computer applications (EXCEL, Word, Access, Visio, etc.).
- Knowledge of reporting requirements within the UN/UNHCR system, including basic donor reporting.
- Excellent oral communication and drafting skills.
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of another UN language; preferably Arabic is desirable.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES:
- Professional qualifications in the fields of accounting or auditing are desirable
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) desirable.
- General specific learning/training in the fields of evaluations, risk and programme management can be an asset.
- Knowledge of any other UN languages is considered an asset.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Mid level
- Closing Date: 2017-06-04