Director D2, Budget & Programming
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill the position of Director of Budget and Programming at D2 level, based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Assistant Executive Director for Resource Management and Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Budget & Programming is responsible for overseeing the following functions: programming of operational resources, organizational budgeting and position funding, trust fund management, and management of financing mechanisms.
Key responsibilities include:
· Provide direction for, lead, and manage, the resource allocation and budgetary functions of WFP. This includes, among others, programming and monitoring both resource needs and resource allocations, management and administration of financing mechanisms and facilities, preparation and approval of the corporate triennial management (financial) plan, and providing relevant funding information to country offices and senior management
· Ensure the coherence and transparency in the collation & compilation of funding requirements
· Ensure transparency and accountability in the allocation of all resources
· Ensure corporate awareness of funding availability and shortfalls
· Set policies and strategies for mitigating and controlling resource allocation risks
· Support WFP’s managers, at HQ, Regional & Country Office level, in all budgetary related matters
· Provide coordination and guidance in relation to training for functional staff
· Develop & deploy improved use of advanced financing and risk models, for resource allocations as part of the financial stability project
· Work in partnership with Operations, Gender, and other functional areas to prepare the organizations Management (Financial) Plan
· Ensure adequate consultation with Board Members, finance and related committees to ensure approval of plan
· Provide secretarial support to the Strategic Resource Allocation Committee (SRAC)
· Work closely with the donor office in order to improve flexibility and predictability of donor funding
· Manage the Division and its human, financial and other resources
· Monitor implementation of oversight recommendations (Internal Audit, External Audit, Audit Committee, UN Joint Inspection Unit)
· Support institutional change initiatives in financial management in respect of the overall organizational strengthening effort in WFP, including the on-going review of WFP’s financial architecture
· Represent WFP in governance fora and at interagency meetings and conferences
· Perform other related duties as requested.
Qualifications & Experience Required
· An advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate) in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field
· Certification from a recognized institute such as CA, ACCA, CPA is preferred
· At least 15 years of professional experience, with at least 5 years of experience in financial or programme management and leadership in a large international organization
· Prior experience as a Controller or Chief Financial Officer of a large organization is desired
· Professional experience dealing with senior governance structures is preferred
· Experience in an operations-based organization is preferred
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
· In-depth knowledge of International Public Service Accounting Standards
· Broad knowledge of diverse humanitarian assistance and development practices with a particular area of leading technical expertise
· Excellent budgeting, financial management skills and commercial acumen, with the ability to leverage external partnerships to optimize resources for WFP
· Ability to assimilate and analyze complex issues to develop strategies and policies
· Detailed understanding of business principals and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN / WFP specific processes and systems
· Good knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures is highly desirable
· Outstanding leadership, strategic visioning, management, communication and negotiating skills demonstrated in overseeing a large and diverse organization
· Excellent interpersonal, networking and partnership skills to work in harmony with multiple cultures, government officials, heads of other UN agencies and multilateral institutions
· Demonstrated ability to deliver changes and results in politically and operationally sensitive contexts
· Demonstrated political awareness and sound judgement in resolving issues/ problems
- Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
Terms and Conditions
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including a competitive annual net base salary ranging from USD105,345 to USD125,857 plus a variable post adjustment which currently amounts from USD42,000 to USD50,000 per annum. The benefit package also includes relocation entitlements which include an assignment grant, travel and shipment allowances, rental subsidy, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org.
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 19 April 2016
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Rome
- Grade: Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2016-04-19