Public Engagement Officer
Baidoa (Somalia) | Mogadishu
Job Title: Public Engagement Officer, SWS Baidoa, Somalia
Job Category: Expert
Department/Group: President Office Location: Baidoa
Reporting Line Primary: State Minister of Presidency
Reporting Line Secondary: Team Leader/Project officer, State formation and building, UNDP, Somalia
Date: ASAP Position Type: Capacity Injection
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
South West State of Somalia (SWS) was established in November 2014. It comprises of Bay, Bakool and Lower Shabelle regions. The establishment of the SWS paves the way to focus efforts on building a functioning administration that is able to deliver much needed services to local communities. As of March 2015, SWS President completed the cabinet ministers for his administration.
The Support to Emerging Federal States Project is one of the Projects developed in response to the New Deal. Aligned to the priorities and principles spelled out in the Somali Compact, the Project aims to support the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Emerging Federal States inclusive of SWS, in achieving the Peace-building Goal (PSG).
The positions of Public Engagement Officer is going to be based in Baidoa as member of SWS technical team. The position will manage the community engagement tasks for South West State.
The purpose of this position is to ensure that SWS will receive administrative support in a timely and efficient manner, and that this is done in accordance with SWS policies and procedures. Furthermore, that the Public Engagement policy and procedures are applied consistently and fairly. The Public Engagement Officer will consult closely at all times with the State Minister of Presidency.
In that regard, President Office of SWS need technical support to strengthen its relationship with the local communities, raise their knowledge on federalism and raise local community awareness on Somalia political process.
The role of the Public Engagement Officer is to be mainly provide technical support to President Office and related ministries. The specific tasks that the officer will undertake include:
- Advice the President Office on Public Engagement best practices
- Develop Public Engagement Policy across SWS Ministries in ensuring that SWS policies are aligned with government priorities, where significant policy gaps exist and make recommendations to ensure gaps and corrective policies measures are undertaken.
- Promote information sharing and coordination between President Office and SWS cabinet members
- Gather community services user information for each area and compile community profiles
- To work with local community members and group enabling them to determine how they want to relate to local policy decision making structure.
- Ensure the development of detailed annual reporting and communication action plans in support of the SWS key ministries’ priorities, defining setting existing and planned activities, roles and responsibilities of different actors, timelines, and required policies
The officer should:
- Development of Public Engagement Policy in SWS
- Key recommendations and messaging to President Office, as necessary, to influence policy and practice on community engagement
- Monthly reports and briefing to President on progress made, Identified challenges encountered and corrective action proposed
- Administrative support to President Office, partners and visitors/consultants when they wish to conduct meetings, workshops, trainings and other special events in SWS.
- Development of Local Community Action Plans
- Ensuring gender is mainstreamed in all public engagement activities
- Strategically position the President Office in a leadership position to support other SWS Ministries meet high level of community engagement level
REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
- Bachelors or Associate Degree or similar, in Social Service, Health, Community Development or related disciplines.
- 5-7 years relevant experience in analytical work in the field of administration, HR, counseling, GBV officer preferably with a focus on Somalia.
- Prior work in SWS area is highly desirable and firm understanding of Somalia context.
- Fluency in English and Somali language – Knowledge of Maay Maay is Plus
- At least 2 years of proven experience in project design, report writing, community organizing, programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation preferably with a focus on Somalia context.
KEY COMPETENCE NEEDED
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues to service the information needs of diverse audiences;
- Results orientation and commitment to producing high-quality products;
- Ability to support strategic planning, results-based programming, management, reporting as well as resource mobilization efforts;
- Demonstrates knowledge in Gender Development.
- Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Demonstrates outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Strong IT skills. Encourages the use of new technologies and strives for high standard of professional work;
- Strong inter-personal skills: Ability to motivate and inter-act with colleagues at all levels within the organization as well as with inter-agency partners.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your CV/Resume and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to UNDP Somalia email at email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org by 4th July, 2016 with the subject line as Public Engagement Officer.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted by SWS President Office.
Women Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.