Operations Officer - NOA ( For Gambian Nationals Only)
Vacancy Announcement For The Position Of Operations Officer- NOA. (For Gambian Nationals Only).
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Support the Head of the Office in the management of operational functions for a small country or sub-office, Accountable for management of cost-effective, efficient and secure operations, in support of management, administration and implementation of the country programmes, consistent with operations of all other country offices in the Region, in strict compliance with the rules and regulations and in accordance with strategy, plans and decisions made by Regional Management Team and Country Management Teams. Collaborate with all other UN agencies to accelerate implementation of the Harmonized Business practices in line within Reform/coherence.
- Operations of financial, budget, information & communication technology, supply & logistics, human resource and administrative management strengthened and maintained for Country Office.
- Accurate and consistent interpretation and application of operations policy and procedures implemented to support operations at the country and sub-country levels.
- Fiduciary responsibility for funds and assets effectively secured and timely executed for optimum utilization by taking appropriate decision on all operational and financial transactions, disbursement of funds, and administrative arrangements.
- Effective technical input provided in strategic planning and policy recommendations in the area of operations, taking initiative in improving and implementing operations management systems.
- Basic office services effectively provided to enhance staff safety and productivity.
- Operations components of the CPMP and annual work plan of the office timely prepared, as well as all operational reporting requirements fully met for the office.
- Compliance with all operational systems and procedures effectively monitored and corrective measures taken as appropriate to ensure integrity in all financial and other administrative operations of the office. All implementing partners accountability ensured regarding supply and financial assistance
- Staff learning/development for effective operations performance programme developed, implemented and enhanced for capacity building.
9. Effective coordination, communication, collaboration established and maintained with internal and external partners for efficient operations, advisory function, vision and leadership, policy coordination, consultative and participatory management process, external representation as well as security and emergency operations. UNDG policies and processes for harmonized business practices including on joint offices, commons premises and common services are effectively implemented.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES and DUTIES & TASKS
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
- Effective operations of financial, budget, information & communication technology, supply & logistics, human resource and administrative management
Ensure the effective, equitable and efficient operations of the office's finance, budget, information & communication technology, supply & logistics, human resource and administrative systems to support and facilitate the attainment of programmatic goals and objectives by meeting changing operational requirements. Advise management and assist in establishing new offices complying with UN Coherence and Harmonization principles regarding joint offices/common services when relevant.
- Policy interpretation and application
As technical/functional specialist, accountable for providing the correct and consistent interpretation and application of organizational policies and procedures in the management of finance and administrative functions through the provision of technical expertise and operational support to the country office.
Alert and recommend to the Head of Office, the Regional Operations Officer and HQ when deviation from the rules and regulations may be required, and propose alternative solutions to meet office objectives. Contribute to global and regional strategic planning and policy changes/formulation on operational matters as and when necessary.
Implement the effective communication, training, roll-out, monitoring and evaluation of new operational initiatives, guidelines and procedures. Provide staff briefing and orientation regarding all of the operational areas.
- Fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds and assets
Safeguard the financial resources entrusted to the office by managing financial assets, financial planning and cash management activities and by recommending improvements to the financial and administrative management systems and procedures. Accountable for fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds and assets taking decision on all operational and financial transactions, disbursement of funds, and administrative arrangements. Provide required oversight and support to programme group team to ensure all implementing partners accountability with regard to supply and non supply assistance.
Ensure efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of resources through knowledge and technology transfer between offices and consistency of approaches and applications.
- Leadership in strategic planning and policy formulation in the areas of operations
Play a substantive role in strategic planning and decision-making within the UNICEF Operations and provides sound professional input to the development, reform and change of financial, human resources and administrative policies, systems and procedures.
Contribute to effective management process by providing technical support to corporate committees (including PBR, RMTs, CMT, JCC, CRC, PSB, etc.).
- Office Services
Ensure the provision of basic offices services including space management, equipment, communications and security to enhance staff safety and productivity. Identifies and proposes appropriate office accommodations, (i.e., ensures maintenance of premises, security of staff, office premises, equipment and supplies), complying with UN Coherence and Harmonization principles as required. Ensures the acquisition of all expendable and non-expendable property (administrative and/or programme supplies), ensuring that procurement is made according to the organization's rules, regulations and procedures. Controls inventory, its utilization and disposal.
Under the auspices of the Inter-Agency Operations Management Team, support approaches for enhancing UN common services to attain efficiencies and effectiveness.
- CPMP Preparation
Contribute to the consolidation and preparation of the finance, budget and administrative components of the CPMP; participate in the review of office structures and operations, and compilation of required job descriptions, prior to budget preparation, in line with the country programme commitment; contribute to the preparation of budget and the accompanying justification and documentation. Participate in the country programme strategy, development, planning and preview/review meetings, to identify staffing and administrative operational requirements.
- Compliance and Internal Control
Monitor and manage budget process. Ensure all other operational reporting requirements are fully met for the office. Monitor compliance with all operational systems and procedures and ensure integrity in all financial and other administrative operations of the office.
Serve as the focal person for office management indicators; ensure accuracy, promptness and appropriateness of information, and reports to the Head of Office and HQs; in collaboration with the Deputy Representative, ensure the implementation of agreed audit recommendations; advise on corrective measures to be taken and establish relevant internal controls.
- Staff Learning and Development
Develop training activities to ensure effective operational performance and efficiency. Develop and implement effective staff learning and development programme activities for both programme and operations staff on operational matters for capacity building, drawing on expertise of knowledge institutions partnership as relevant. Plan and conduct operations workshops for staff's competency building, staff development, learning and career development. Provide coaching and counselling to the staff on performance enhancement/development.
- Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration
Maintain good working relations with government counterparts; Arranges operational facilities and basic cooperation agreements with government authorities, (e.g., customs, visas, protocol, receipt of contributions, security, accommodations, privileges and immunities.). Ensure adherence to financial regulations and rules pertaining to Cash Assistance to Government (CAG) by Government and all implementing partners...
Cooperate and coordinate with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including HACT capacity building of IPs, common services and premises agenda, etc.)
Assist Head of Office in finance, human resources and administrative matters providing technical advice on all operational submissions for the approval of the Regional Director; brief office staff on financial, human resources and administrative policies and procedures providing authoritative advice; provide technical guidance and oversight to junior Operations staff in country offices and swiftly resolve operational issues.
Liaise with the HQ Divisions or the Regional Office to obtain guidance on policy interpretation and applications in the area of operations; advise on the applicability of new policy directives to country operations. Make sound recommendations on the improvement of systems and internal controls, planning and restructuring and resolution of sensitive issues and problems, taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
Establish and maintain all consultative and management committees (e.g. APC, JCP, JCC, CRC, PSB, TRT, PBR and Training); Organize and train or brief committees in compliance with the guidelines.
Collaborate with senior Programme Officers and country office staff providing operational solutions in support of programming activities while maintaining sound internal operational controls.
Represent the office in meetings with local banks and administrative suppliers; negotiates locally issued contracts as well as in meetings with other UN Agencies to coordinate operational matters and activities, including harmonization of the UN common system.
Represents UNICEF in the local salary survey committee and fully participates in all processes of the salary survey review and administration to ensure the methodology is applied correctly throughout.
Coordinate promptly with the Regional Office, the Head of Office, Programme Officers and other staff in the country office for security-related issues and emergency operations. Provide operational support to emergency preparedness and emergencies. Inform and update all staff members in the country office on security related issues and emergency operations.
JOB GRADE FACTORS 
P1 - Provide professional technical support to execute effective financial, human resources and administrative operations for a small country office with a relatively small size of total budget and staff members with no complex operational environment, engaging in all the areas of operations.
- Supervise a group of support staff to provide operational support for programme management and administration.
- Provide accurate and strict interpretation of operations policy and procedures, while ensuring optimal utilization of UNICEF's resources, in compliance with rules and regulations.
 The differences in the grades of jobs and positions reflect various differences, among others, in the nature of work, individual contribution, scope of professional expertise required, organizational context, risks, coordination and networking, engagement, partners, beneficiaries, clients/stakeholders relations, impact of decisions, actions and consequences, and leadership roles.
QUALIFICATION and COMPETENCIES ([ ] indicates the level of proficiency required for the job.)
University degree in accounting, business administration, economics or financial management and membership - or enrolled for membership - of recognized professional accountancy body
- Work Experience
One year of relevant professional work experience.
Both national and International work experience in office management, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, supply and administration and/or other related fields.
Work experience in emergency duty station.
- Language Proficiency
Fluency in English and another UN language.
4. Competency Profile (For details on competencies please refer to the UNICEF Professional Competency Profiles.)
- i) Core Values (Required)
- Diversity and Inclusion
- ii) Core Competencies (Required)
- Communication [I]
- Drive for Result [II]
- Working With People [I]
- Functional Competencies (Required)
- Analyzing [ I ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [II]
- Planning and Organizing [II]
- iv) Technical Knowledge
- a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required (for the job)
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required.)
- Specialized knowledge to perform the functions of the job at competent level
- UNICEF operation's goals, visions, positions, and organization development and change management strategies
- UNICEF operation's policies, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
- Rights-based and Results-based management and programming approach in UNICEF.
- UNICEF Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP)
- Knowledge of the global commitment on aid effectiveness, including the Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness, the Accra Agenda for Action as well as knowledge of the Global Programme Partnerships (GPPs).
- b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
- Principles of office management, accounting, financial management, programme management and administration
- UNICEF operation's goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies.
- Policy and procedures of operational management, including UN/UNICEF financial and personnel rules and regulations
- Human resources planning, development, management and administration. (e.g., HR Policy & Procedures Manual, Salary Survey Manual, Job Classification Standards)
- Information and Communication Technology administration
- Supply operations, logistics and purchasing administration
- UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies, approaches and procedures (e.g., Security handbook)
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
- c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
- UN policies and strategy to address operational issues involved in harmonization of operations in the common system..
- UNICEF positions about UN common approaches to operations issues.
- UN security operations and guidelines.
- Government regulations and laws in the locality.
• UNICEF strategic framework for partnerships and collaborative relationships
 References to UNICEF and/or UN in terms of technical knowledge requirements (a and b above) are applicable only to those who are or have been the staff members of UNICEF or the UN common system.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Banjul
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-02-22