SVN 2017/48 (P) - Project Development Officer (P2) - Gaziantep, Turkey
Position Title Project Development Officer
Duty Station :Gaziantep, Turkey Classification Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 19 March 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
With the crisis in Syria in its fourth year, a political solution is still to be found as the conflict remain unresolved and the heavy fighting between the government and opposition forces has continued throughout the country generating regional refugee crisis. 3.9 million Syrian refugees are living in neighbouring countries, with over 2 million in Turkey. While over 260,000 Syrians are living in 25 camps across Turkey, the remaining 1.5 million (accounting for 85%) live outside of camps in urban and rural areas throughout the country.
IOM supports the implementation of the whole-of-Syria approach in the framework of the UN Security Council 2165/2191, authorizing the UN/IOM to initiate cross-border operations from neighbouring countries. IOM Turkey works with CCCM and Shelter/NFI Clusters, international NGOs, and Syrian partners on identifying vulnerable displaced populations inside Syria, procuring required Non-food Items (NFIs), organizing transportation across the border, and distributing the items to Syrian people in need. In Turkey, in line with the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP), IOM is providing multiservice assistance for Syrians including transportation, NFIs, support to food kitchens, voucher distributions, and support to community centres established by NGOs.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, in close coordination with the Project Development Officer in Ankara and direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to the design and development of Page 1 / 4project proposals and for carrying out various analyses of IOM’s cross border operations inside Syria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Contribute to the design and development of new programmes/projects, basing technical inputs on the results framework that responds to emerging trends and priorities, in close coordination with the Programme Coordinator, Emergency Response Officer, as well as with Whole of Syria (WoS) Hubs and clusters.
2. Process, draft portions of, and distribute project proposals, donor reports, partner agreements (Service Agreements, Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs), Letter of Award (LoAs) and other types of contracts) and other relevant documents, in adherence to internal requirements and procedures.
3. Monitor, analyze and draft progress reports on the humanitarian response and development, disaster relief/management programmes or emergency situations in Syria.
4. Organize and coordinate assessments of humanitarian, emergency relief and related issues; 5. Establish and maintain contacts with relevant internal and external partners for information collection and sharing, to discuss trends and lessons learned, and to provide information regarding humanitarian and emergency assistance and gender-related considerations. 6. Assist in identifying IOM relevant project opportunities based on needs inside Syria and donor priorities.
7. Attend donor and cluster meetings and briefings, and liaise with donors and project partners in close coordination with the Programme Coordinator.
8. In close coordination with the Programme Coordinator, provide support in the analysis of relevant information on IDPs through NPM data –related issues and trends in Syria affected by an influx of IDPs;
9. Assist the Programme Coordinator in planning IOM’s cross border activities; Assist in the coordination of reports and papers on IOM Turkey strategic approaches and priorities for distribution to donors, government, partners and other counterparts.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in project development of humanitarian programmes for humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, rehabilitation, development, or other related area;
• Experience in emergency operations, programme design, including support to displaced Page 2 / 4populations and refugees;
• Familiarity with IOM project cycle management and the IOM Project Development and Implementation Handbook;
• Experience in liaising with donors, humanitarian partners and clusters;
• Sound and proven understanding of internal and international humanitarian issues in Syria , the sub-region and related issues;
• Knowledge of the region is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic and/or Turkish is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 19 March 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html Page 3 / 4In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 06.03.2017 to 19.03.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/48 (P) - Project Development Officer (P2) - Gaziantep, Turkey (54995647) Released
Posting: Posting NC54995837 (54995837) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Gaziantep
- Grade: P-2, International Professional
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-03-19