SVN 2017/50 (P) - Operations Officer (Search and Rescue (SAR)) (P2) - IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia
Position Title Operations Officer (Search and Rescue (SAR))
Duty Station : IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 22 March 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Senior Operations Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for supporting the mission infrastructure and construction components and rescue at sea activities under the EU Trust Fund and Regional Development and Protection Programmes projects. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support the implementation of the activities under the saving lives at sea operations projects. 2. Constantly assess and assist the Senior Operations Officer and/or CoM in revising the project strategy when needed.
3. Monitor and follow up on the project’s financial, administrative, and technical aspects in line with IOM policies and procedures and donor requirements.
4. Plan the procurement and delivery of all materials, equipment and rehabilitation projects through timely facilitation of all necessary administrative, organizational, and tender processes, in coordination with the procurement assistant and local partners.
Page 1 / 45. Coordinate the work of local implementing partners, including monitoring the administrative, programmatic, coordinative, and technical assistance provided by partners as required. 6. Support regular monitoring of project implementation, taking appropriate corrective action and making recommendations to improve their effectiveness as necessary; prepare and contribute to regular project and activity reports, and prepare and provide input to donor narrative reports. 7. Coordinate meetings and capacity-building activities for partner government agencies, local partners and other stakeholders associated with the project.
8. Contribute to the development and implementation of an effective communication and visibility plan of the project in close coordination of the Public Information Unit. 9. Support synergies between the project and other IOM direct assistance initiatives to ensure greater impact of IOM interventions.
10. Support and strengthen coordination efforts with government entities, the coast guard, the DCIM, embassies, implementing partners, UN agencies, and other stakeholders involved in carrying out SAR activities in the country.
11. Prepare drawings of details using AutoCAD for proposal and approval by outside engineering organizations.
12. Review the contractor's compliance with the technical requirements of the contract, and bring anomalies to the attention of the supervisor.
13. Review reports and materials provided by the Contractor as called for by the contract and bring issues to the attention of the supervisor.
14. Review the Contractor's invoices for payment in terms of quantity, quality, timeliness and cost as these terms are defined in the contract.
15. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Rights, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in the field of migrants’ assistance with a Government or UN agency, or a regional or international organization in the Middle East and/or North Africa;
• Experience in project administration;
• Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general migration related issues; • Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures;
• Excellent skill in AutoCAD.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Page 2 / 4Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 22 March 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 09.03.2017 to 22.03.2017
Page 3 / 4Requisition: SVN 2017/50 (P) - Operations Officer (SAR) (P2) - IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia (54974153) Released
Posting: Posting NC55001093 (55001093) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tripoli
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Junior level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-03-22