Senior Program Assistant
International Potato Center
SENIOR PROGRAM ASSISTANT
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a highly skilled, results-oriented Senior Program Assistant to provide overall office administration and financial support for the implementation of the “Building Nutritious Food Baskets” Project.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit International Agricultural Research for development with a global mandate to conduct research on potato, sweetpotato, and other roots and tubers and on the improved management of natural resources. Its vision is to emphasize the use of roots and tubers to improve the lives of the poor. CIP seeks to reduce poverty and achieve food security and improve the well-being of poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
The position: The Senior Program Assistant will be responsible for supporting the Project Manager by monitoring the budget and compiling progress financial reports for the donor. The Senior Program Assistant will help organize regional meetings, events and training workshops. He / She will backstop the efforts of the Program Assistants in Tanzania and Nigeria. This position reports to the Project Manager.
The key responsibilities include the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative and management support to the Project Management Team;
- Assist with project communications (appointments, reports, booking meeting rooms / venues and equipment, drafting of correspondence for the Project Manager);
- Coordinate travel arrangements and logistical support - including the handling of travel requests and liquidations, accommodation, and arranging for meals for the project events;
- Provide support to the Capacity Development and Communications Specialist in the planning and facilitation of training courses;
- Provide support to the Regional Advocacy Coordinator in planning for regional advocacy events, workshops and meetings;
- Compile presentations, mailing lists and distribution of project publications;
- Maintenance of office filing system (manual and electronic) including backup, archiving and storage;
- Assist in procurement and payment of bills;
- Handling maintenance of office assets and keeping an inventory of equipment and supplies;
- Backstopping the country Program Assistants for Tanzania and Nigeria to effectively execute similar duties;
- Assisting with the preparation of cash position and bank reconciliations and regular financial reporting;
- Any other duties given by the project leader.Requirements:
- At least a first degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Economics or other related discipline;
- At least CPA section 4 or ACCA level 2;
- A minimum of 5 years of finance and administration experience in a busy environment;
- Experience as an executive assistant desirable;
- Familiarity with grants, contracts and risk analysis;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to write project and financial reports;
- A team player accustomed to working with multi-cultural groups;
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili languages;
- Willingness to travel.
Conditions: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff position (NRS),based in Nairobi, Kenya with occasional regional travel to support project activities. The employment contract will be for a one-and-a-half-year term (with a three-month probation period) with the possibility of renewal, subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on 11 April, 2017 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts. Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-04-11