ICLA Officer - (only open for Afghan nationality) - Job Location: Kabul - Afghanistan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization specialized in assisting and advocating for the rights of refugees, returnees and internally displaced people (IDPs).
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
- Remain updated on current legislation and legal developments in Afghanistan.
- Accurately register cases in the electronic database.
- Maintain and update hard copy files of documents and pleadings in individual cases.
- Participate in mobile teams, when scheduled.
- Bring legal problems of clients to the attention of relevant departments.
- Represent NRC in national and internal meetings, when requested.
- At all-time respect the anonymity of clients approaching NRC and the confidentiality of information received from any clients.
- Provide legal counselling to clients and represent them in courts, at attorney departments and other relevant departments.
- In coordination with the CILA Coordinator, support the provision of legal assistance services in complex legal cases
- Regularly visit returnee and IDP communities as well as Encashment Centre to provide information/counselling on rights awareness and durable solutions to displaced persons; disseminate information about NRC’s mandate;
- Liaise with governmental, non-governmental organizations and UN agencies to establish and maintain networks for referrals;
- Collect and record information about socio-economic, security and general conditions within the ILAC’s AOR for returnees and IDPs;
- Conduct assessments as required;
- Identify problems facing returnees both before and after return, and record the experiences of returnees;
- Participate in NRC staff seminars and training, when scheduled;
- Represent NRC in national and international meetings, when requested and promote exchange of information with relevant external actors;
- Respect the anonymity of clients approaching NRC and the confidentiality of information received from any clients;
- Responsible for close co-operation with NRCs shelter, education and emergency programs and advocacy team, including needs assessments and identifying beneficiaries where appropriate;
- Participate in preparation of monthly reports, thematic reports, and correspondence with government officials and international organizations;
- University degree from faculty of law or Sharia, and a thorough knowledge of Afghan law;
- 3 years’ experience in the field of law (e.g. courts, attorney or legal aid agencies). Preferably experience in working with clients;
- Work experience from national or international organizations (Experience with returnees/IDPs issues is an asset);
- Familiarity with NRC's work in the region;
- Good computer skills.
- English writing ability, Fluency in both languages would be highly regarded.
- Defense license is required
- Education title: University degree from faculty of law or Sharia, and a thorough knowledge of Afghan laws; and international framework related to the beneficiaries.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labow Law
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected