ICT Security Solution QA Manager
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
DFS - UNSOA
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes.
The United Nations Support Office for AMISOM (UNSOA) is a field support operation led by the United Nations Department of Field Support (DFS) under UN security Council Resolution 1863 (2009) mandated to deliver a logistics capacity support package to AMISOM (African Union Mission in Somalia), as well as to provide operational support to other East African missions.
The logistics package consists of equipment and mission support services, including ICT infrastructure, systems and software applications in support of United Nations peacekeeping operations, DFS and DPI in the region. UNSOA is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with logistics operations facilitated through Mombasa, Kenya, Entebbe, Uganda and Mogadishu, Somalia.
ICT plays an integral role in the operation of UNSOA. It is one of the fundamental infrastructure components that support the substantive work of the mission. Timely and secure communications and information exchange within and between UN peacekeeping operations, and between these operations and Headquarters is critical in order for the UN to meet its core strategic, operational and tactical mandates. Ensuring that a robust and fault-tolerant ICT infrastructure is in place to continue or restart operations in the event of a natural or man-made disaster or disruption has become a necessary and permanent consideration.
UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
The functions/duties/key results of this job description are generic and may not always be applicable, nor comprehensive, for all jobs under this job title.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Below are some of the key functionalities, which it may vary from duty station to duty station.
Under the leadership of the ICT Integrated Security Solutions Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for the provision of analytical input to physical security ICT environments within the ICT Unit of the respective field mission. The incumbent will collaborate with the other ICT Integrated Security Solutions team members to contribute to the overall ICT physical security strategy and implementation.
The incumbent will assume the following responsibilities:
- Ensures that the quality specifications of the project products are aligned with UNDSS / UNSOA requirements;
- On regular basis ensures that the produced products comply with the agreed quality requirements, in close coordination with the implementation manager and the project coordinator;
- Provide evaluations on current physical security system and recommendations for improvements, utilizing ICT-based compatible, integrated security solutions;
- Participate in technical meetings with client missions to gather data for preparation of assessment activities;
- In collaboration with the project team, proactively proposes solutions to eliminate quality deficiencies;
- Reports back to implementation manager / project coordinator on any identified quality issue;
- Reports to and takes direction from the project coordinator;
- Devise sampling procedures to verify product quality compliance;
- Document internal audit and other quality assurance activities;
- Collect and compile statistical quality data and analyze data to identify area for improvement in the project;
- Monitor risk, evaluate audit findings, and advise appropriate corrective actions;
Perform other related duties as required.
Impact of Results
The results of work of the ICT Security Solution QA Manager impact directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the mission. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
Additional Considerations: The incumbents will be based in one or more DFS supported field missions in Africa including but not limited to: Somalia, South Sudan, Central African Republic, Congo.
Professionalism: Strong theoretical background and knowledge of information technology/information management. Best practice implementation in the field of project management and business analysis. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including proficiency in business process mapping. Ability to engage in multiple projects and develop approaches to resolve a wide range of issues/problems. Individual should be detail-oriented, creative, inquisitive, committed, and self-motivated and able to maintain a very high level of confidentiality regarding the projects being conducted
Client Orientation: Ability to identify and analyze clients’ needs and develop appropriate technological solutions to the business needs. Experience in working with contracted service providers in a globally dispersed environment.
Planning and Organizing: Ability to organize, plan and implement work assignments, juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines. Sound organization and interpersonal skills, ability to coordinate teams of individuals with diverse skills set.
Communications: Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally. Ability to advise and coach in the areas of expertise and effectively prepare specifications and other written reports/documentation in a clear and concise style. Ability to communicate with various levels of technical experience (developers/ operations/ end users/management / support staff).
Teamwork: Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Information Systems and/or Information Technology, Computer Science, Business Administration, Public Administration, Law Enforcement or related field.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and 2 years of additional work experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree equivalent.
- PRINCE2 Certification is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in a Physical security ICT environment is required. This experience should consist of security engineering tasks such as ICT Physical security system, data security administration, IS disaster recovery, networking, and/or project management.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in performing vulnerability assessments, security analysis, and/or developing mitigation strategies is required.
- Professional experience at the international level in the public/private sector is desirable.
- Experience with ISO 27000 series of security standards and best-practices is a valuable asset.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second UN language is highly desirable
For staff positions UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the job.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Based on organizational needs at the time of recruitment, applicants accepted into this UNOPS roster pool may be considered for job at the advertised job level or its equivalent. The successful candidate(s) may be offered a contract governed by the United Nations Staff Regulations and Rules or UNOPS individual contractor agreement.