Kathmandu | Nepal
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS is expanding its operational support in South Asia and has recently established its presence in Nepal with four recent projects signed with DFID, World Vision and the World Bank supporting Nepal Government Institutions. UNOPS will provide advisory and technical assistance services with its expertise in Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure, as well as providing capacity building to key stakeholders. The initial projects are located across the country in more than 40 districts of Nepal, while the major project team will work from UNOPS Kathmandu-based country office.
For one of the high-impact projects, UNOPS is working together with the World Bank, DFID and the Government of Nepal to support the Nepal Housing Reconstruction. The project will assess up to 900,000+ rural residential families and is part of a large-scale international response to the post-earthquake recovery. The overall objective of the project is to facilitate the recovery in the Earthquake affected Districts of Nepal through surveys that will ascertain the damage to the housing stock and identify households eligible for grant assistance. Just recently, the enrollment of Housing beneficiaries has started funded by DFID.
The purpose of this assignment is to review ongoing survey methodology and suggest appropriate solutions to restructure and manage data for statistical analysis, capacity enhancement of CBS personnel and suggest continuity plan for sustainability. The IT Officer shall report to the Project Manager.
- Manage data collected so far and restructure the database system for further processing for statistical analysis purpose.
- Assist in designing establishment of IT System for Survey conducted by CBS.
- Assist to develop a data backup mechanism for EHRS system
- Assist to design migration plan of entire system used for EHRS to Government data centre
- Provide assistance to CBS personnel for capacity enhancement for using mobile data collection equipment used in the EHRS System
- Provide assistance to develop sustainability mechanism for continuity of the EHRS
- Identify and recommend a System along with required resources for data storage, back up, and availability of system and services
In close cooperation with CBS and KLL the incumbent will carry out the activities listed hereunder, overall ownership and responsibility rely on CBS.
- Design, develop and implement a plan for management of data collected so far
- Design/restructure and implement database system for analytical processing
- Design, develop and implement data consolidation mechanism to consolidate data collected so far with newly structured database system
- Design, develop and implement data backup system for EHRS
- Design, develop, and migrate entire system used for EHRS to Government data centre
- Develop and implement capacity enhancement programs for EHRS system
- Design, develop and implement continuity plan for sustainability of the EHRS system
3. Monitoring, Reporting and Controls:
There shall be a scheduled monthly progress status meeting and other reporting period will be stipulated accordingly. All technical deliverables shall be prepared by the consulting IT Officer subject to UNOPS/CBS/DFID approval. The deliverables are as follows:
- Design documents for the activities for listed under the clause “Activities”
- Work plan for phase wise implementation of the activities
- Status Reporting
- Project issue log and resolution statements
- Change control documentation
- University degree (Bachelor’s Degree/First level) or equivalent in Computer Applications, ICT, Information Sciences or any science/logic related discipline
- Secondary school education with relevant years of experience may be considered in lieu of a first level degree.
- A relevant combination of academic credentials and / or industry certifications and qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the university education.
- Bachelor’s degree with 4 years of progressive experience in related field is required;
- 3 years’ of experience in system analysis and design, data centre design, VMware virtualization and Implementation in Data Centres, Financial organizations, Non-government organizations is required;
- 3 years’ data backup – recovery, security system designs-SOPs is required;
- Secondary school education with minimum of eight years of progressive experience in similar position may be considered in lieu;
- Experience of working with government counterpart, international organization like WB, UN agencies is desirable;
- Experience in handling multiple operating systems is desirable;
- Experience in designing web-based application for mobile data collection is desirable;
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Nepali is required
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- This post is only open for candidates who are nationals of Nepal.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract duration: Initially for 6 months
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Kathmandu | Nepal
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2017-07-07